File disappears after execution.

helmuthschmitz

Reaction score
Credits
I'm having a problem that is haunting me. I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, and running a app developed by the company i work. There is a application called 4SMagoMediaChecker, that runs fine in every PC. But, there is a specific PC, that when i run 4SMagoMediaChecker, it runs, but at same time, it disapears from its folder. It really disapears. I never saw something like this. So, it continues running but there is not on disk anymore. The File disappears after execution. I know that it is not deleting itself cause there's no remove or delete code on it. So, what could be happening? If i rename it to anything else, like "4SMagoMediaChecker2" for example, it runs fine and dosent disapears from disk. Anybody has some ideia? Could be some kind of malware? Or some script running? How can i discover it?

Is the application running locally on each machine? What is the extension of the application?

Is running locally on each machine. IT's part of a main application, but i can run it directly from terminal as a stand alone as:

./4SMagoMediaChecker

So, it's runs fine, but i can see at other terminal, that the executable 4SMagoMediaChecker is not there anymore. Unless i rename it to anything else.

So, right now, i decided to create another user called "maguinho" just to change 4SMagoMediaChecker user owner like this

sudo adduser maguinho
sudo chown maguinho 4SMagoMediaChecker
sudo chmod 555 4SMagoMediaChecker
sudo chattr +i 4SMagoMediaChecker
./4SMagoMediaChecker

This way, it works. The 4SMagoMediaChecker dosent disappears anymore. But i feel bad do something like this. I wish i could understand what is really hapenning

Your solution sounds somewhat similar to this, although it's probably totally unrelated.

True.

But i'm afraid it's really not related.

Thanks for helping. I'll let you know if i find something

Run the application using strace, it will show you what system calls are being run. Run it with the original name and with the alternative name, check the differences.
Code:
strace 4SMagoMediaChecker
strace 4SMagoMediaChecker2

Last edited:
Yeah I thought so. Hopefully someone can be more helpful. I thought someone might be able to help based on your follow up post with more info.

Staff online

Members online