Forced boot.

adrianxw

Reaction score
Credits
A few days ago, I got a mail from Microsoft saying it wanted to load updates and reboot one of my systems. It had a "button" to poke to delay this act which I pressed. I had a job running, which had been grinding through a number set for days and was showing 80% complete. The next day, it popped up again, but this time, no way to back it off again, it simply said it was rebooting in 5 minutes, save and exit. It did, and I lost my work, two weeks of work. Do Linux distros ever do this?

G'day adrian, and Welcome to linux.org

NEVER.

That is the easiest question I have answered today.

With Linux, it is advisable to install all updates. However, the timing of installing those updates. is entirely up to you. No one else gets a say. No one pushes the reboot button for you. In fact the vast majority of Linux updates do not require a reboot.

A pertinent question may be....will the work you do run on Linux ?

The source code is bog standard C++, I'll be able to compile it with something here. The database is Oracle, I don't doubt that it will be possible to port, the rest is a LARGE group of binary datafiles, some of which are megabytes in length, just raw data.

Sounds like the op knows what they’re doing WRT compiling. As long as there’s no platform specific code in there that ties it to Windows, and as long as any 3rd party libraries that are used are cross-platform (e.g. boost) it should compile and run with little, or no modification.

I haven’t done any database programming in many years. But I’d imagine that oracle will be available for Linux. So it seems like it should be feasible to port the project to run on Linux.

Sounds like the op knows what they’re doing WRT compiling. As long as there’s no platform specific code in there that ties it to Windows, and as long as any 3rd party libraries that are used are cross-platform (e.g. boost) it should compile and run with little, or no modification.

I haven’t done any database programming in many years. But I’d imagine that oracle will be available for Linux. So it seems like it should be feasible to port the project to run on Linux.
At work I manage a cluster of systems running Oracle Linux with the Oracle Database Suite running on top of that, so running Oracle databases on Linux shouldn't be a problem.

I was a professional software engineer from 1979 until forced to retire. C/C++, Fortran-66/77, Delphi/Pascal plus other occasional sideroads as demanded by the project are in my skill set. What I am trying to do is process raw data from a substantial collection of multi-vendor dataloggers which over the years have used different encoding systems, word-lengths, control characters etc. etc. and load this stuff into a database with a standardised set of formats so that it can be accessed by folk expecting process a standard dataset.
I had already checked with Oracle, they have said that will not introduce problems.

Last edited:
We also use it on some systems. One minor difference between it and Redhat7, is it gives you the ability to run a 4.x kernel. Almost everything else is the same.
Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK).

Members online