Hackers

That's great advice, don't share on internet anything about you, especially not your computer configuration, be careful what you share on forums too.

I think thats ok but "I work / worked for the gov" actually does make you a target ;)

Which gov? :p ;)

If you have to share computer config or logs, anonymize it with LLM such as private IP addresses or usernames.

LLMs are not bullet-proof and might miss something, so I wouldn't trust them with that. Maybe use LLMs and proof read.

But I mean cmon, this is linux.org forum, we are talking about installing linux mint..

Just make backups. The chinese / russians / NSA / whatever else cyber cyber is already r00t on your box. Is that really a problem? Does that have any real-world implications?
Use your workstation normally, do backups every now and then, if you want to learn about security or have the best reasonable security you can get use qubes, if you want to be as private as reasonably possible use whonix on qubes.
If you want more see it as a hobby, not as a necessity.

This is 2024, privacy is dead. Deal with it :p
I don't think privacy is dead, you just have to drop a lot of stuff that you like to do on your PC or online.
The cost of more privacy is less enjoyment online and on PC.

It's a tradeoff between usability and convenience vs privacy.

I think thats ok but "I work / worked for the gov" actually does make you a target
Not really, I'm not a criminal :p

I don't think privacy is dead

well you might just have a chance xD

@CaffeineAddict whats the advantage you get from putting that much effort into privacy? LIke what real world advantage does that give you?
I think the downsides outweight the advantages tbh. At least for normal everyday people.
If its a hobby, cool, but the "I need privacy or else thing" - what else?

Not really, I'm not criminal :p

I didn't mean you, us two are not the only ones reading this forum, its public, you don't need an acc on it to read (scrape) it

@CaffeineAddict whats the advantage you get from putting that much effort into privacy? LIke what real world advantage does that give you?
It's about 2 things:
1. It's about principles
2. It makes me feel better

I think the downsides outweight the advantages tbh. At least for normal everyday people.
True, that's why I still use services such as google, youtube, forums, GitHub etc. those are 4 examples I choose over privacy.
But there is also a ton of stuff I decided to dump, like social media platforms, gmail and Windows.

Thanks, added to bookmarks, here are few more but sadly none matches the quality of youtube:

Please explain how enabling a firewall (following the example you gave sudo ufw enable) without configuring it (and then configuring it how?) does anything at all.
The default settings have always been good enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts