Solved Headphones

Solved issue

noelw

Reaction score
Credits
Howdy all.
For some reason the headphone jack does not work with cinnamon. It worked prior when it has a Apple OS on it. When i plug in the jack the system speakers stop working as they should.
Screenshot from 2023-07-05 10-45-07.png
I have included alsamixer settings pic. I am unable to crack this one. many thanks.

On the sound icon/volume icon....right click on it and select Output device

That should open a small pop up window.......select Line Out

Tell me your Headphones now work...

Just as a bit of added trivia.....I have an applet called 'Sound 150%'

Right click on panel (task bar)...select applets......search for sound150% by claudiux ....install it...you can also click on the gear icon beside that name to configure it. Play around with it

There is also an applet there to control 'Sound' ...maybe already installed?...if not install it.

Hi ya Condobloke. Bloody cold up your way i note. Always love GI. I plugged headphones in then right clicked and no line out. only s/pdif and headphones which was checked. I will look at those two apps shortly. Thanks add, i already have Sound.

You're right...it's as chilly as all get out !!

We keep seeing the - mark in front of the temp figure....

All from 2012 !!!!!

Apple sure are consistent.

FYI i did not want the earphone jack for earphones i wanted it for my powered/amped speakers. As iMacs do not have an external speaker jack i used the earphone jack. Pic enclosed. I had better tidy those wires up.
20230706_165656.jpg

How absolutely disgustingly tidy that desk is !!!!!!!!....LOL

Just in case I inherit a largeish sum of money, what brand etc are those powered/amped speakers, Noel ?

I will check in the am. Not a well known brand from memory. I have had them for about 10 or so years and they work very well. You may be wondering why in the am, well i overworked my body today and am unable to lower myself in that manner at this time.

i overworked my body today and am unable to lower myself in that manner at this time.
I am somewhat relieved I am not the only one to inflict torture on myself

Just in case I inherit a largeish sum of money, what brand etc are those powered/amped speakers, Noel ?
All they tell me is they are Maestro and made in Germany. I know i got them from eBay, sometimes quality goods can be purchased from eBay, though not often i will admit. There are similar, though not this brand, starting from around $250.00. Good luck and stay warm.

@noelw :-

Although not a Mac user - I got put off Cupertino's products for life back in the late 80s by an unbelievably 'balky' Apple Lisa! - I tend to do the same. I run an elderly powered Goodmans speaker system from my headphone jack.....originally designed for MP3 players, because apart from the speaker cables, the only connector it possesses is a lead with a 3.5 mm stereo jack on the end (obviously intended to plug into your MP3 player where the earphones would normally go).

It has two smaller satellite speakers, plus the 20W x 2 amplifier & a rearward-firing sub-woofer are contained within the same case. It all works pretty well, though I keep wondering how much longer it'll last.....it's almost 22 years old, at this point in time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for actual headphones, I invariably use USB headphones.....which nowadays, usually seem to contain their own sound card within a rather 'chunky' connector. Which also makes audio card detection & selection extremely easy as well!

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts