Help choosing a distro

Czar22Kè

Reaction score
Credits
So i got a new system and I'm promised to move to the Linux side of life (lols):D:D my device specifications are HP EliteBook 840 G1 Notebook PC 4gb ram and 500gb disk space. i was hoping to get the ubuntu or Mint distro could anyone be kind enough to walk me through it and how I can find the various drivers for the system. I would hate to ruin my windows for nothing in return. thanks

It's a holiday, which explains the lack of replies.

Your computer should run anything modern and popular, as far as distros go. The RAM is low, but it should work. You can test in a live environment, via USB, easily enough.

This may be worth a quick read:

Thank you all for the support, I'd really love to test 'em all but is there like a walk-through guide on testing them before the final installation and how to install each test version. thanks again.

i have five old chrome books with 4gb ram 256gb disk space running on Mint.

...but is there like a walk-through guide on testing them before the final installation and how to install each test version

Not that I am aware of, but if you find one share it with us.

Be aware that there are 400 to 500 Linux distros available, that would be a big book.

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I'd really love to test 'em all but is there like a walk-through guide
As @wizardfromoz said there are around 500 different Desktop Linux distributions, only a few proportionately of the more popular ones have the facility to test in "Live format" from the ISO. Look for ones that say "live disk", "Live USB" or "Live installer"

To the topic starter: welcome to the forums.

If you are decided in trying Linux Mint, then I suggest getting a pluggable USB disk, 32GB in size at least, download the ISO and "burn" that ISO file onto the stick. You will have to make a few adjustments to make sure your computer boots with the USB disk rather than the internal disk into Windows. Check it out like that for a while.

Linux Mint, like almost all other distros based on Ubuntu, use one appearance or another of Ubiquity installer. This was supposed to be designed so beginners could feel at home, but it could be very ponderous. Usually it looks over the disk (which takes a while on my computer) for the main Windows partition and offers to install the Linux OS in one half of it. If you don't like it, and want to make the "root" partition smaller, it will take more technical work.

Don't let any of this talk intimidate you. If you really desire a walk through you're better off remaining on Windows. As others have said here, you could do well upgrading your computer's RAM to at least 8GB if you can. That way you could install Virtual Box by Oracle or something else, just download an ISO and "drop it in", running the VM in a Windows session and you never have to risk your internal disk or anything else.

If I were someone else I would ask you to look over Youtube. But there are a lot of videos there with bias, making suggestions here and there that you might disagree with. Especially if you intend to keep Windows and use it more often than Linux. Even with a walk through, there is one of a few people likely to mess it up at one point. That's why the Arch Linux developers gave up a long time ago LOL. I have tried to install it once but forgot "base" on the main entry for downloading the critical packages, and it was before I could get to GRUB, the desktop, network and too many other things. :/

@Czar22Kè :-

welcome.gif
to Linux.org.

I have to assume you're coming from Windows:-

i was hoping to get the ubuntu or Mint distro could anyone be kind enough to walk me through it and how I can find the various drivers for the system.

This is pretty much one of the first lessons that Windows users need to learn about the way Linux functions. Okay. Sit down, and get yourself comfy. Ready for this?

You don't need to download drivers in Linux.

Why? I hear you ask. How can anything work if I don't? Well, here's the big surprise; the Linux kernel contains all the drivers that most systems will ever need (the kernel is about 90%+ nothing but open-source/reverse-engineered drivers at this point in time).

To clarify the above statement, there ARE a few exceptions to this general rule; primarily certain wireless adapters will need separate drivers installing, AND the majority of printers usually need the user to search the vendor's website for Linux-compatible drivers. They ARE there, but they can't add them to the distro's repos for various reasons; probably a legal one, and also because printers are constantly being changed/upgraded/updated).

This does have one major upside. Every time the kernel gets updated - this happens quite frequently - you get ALL your drivers updated at the same time. Good, ain't it? Why do you think we all like Linux so much?

As for the advice above.....yup; you can take it all on board. It's ALL good.

Mike. ;)

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

The best Distro is the one you like the most...there's heaps of Distros to choose from...just like cars...only you can make that decision...good luck.
m1281.gif

Moving this to Getting Started

...which, if you read it, says

New to Linux? Feel free to post in here for installation help and other topics.

Forum Assistance says

If you're having issues with the forum, post in here.

Wizard

There is the best hint for you ever @Czar22Kè .....get STARTED.

I rarely, if ever, respond to threads of this nature.

No.1 Read This

No.2 Put Linux XFCE on a usb stick and boot your pc to that usb stick
(This will NOT install linux or affect windows in any way)

There, you are started.

Members online