Help me out with some distros and Wifi connection.

lmntrix

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!
So im trying to install Linux on my SATA SSD (i have windows 10 in the M.2), but there's a few problems.
1) The Ethernet port of the motherboard is broken. The cause was a power outage, after that i started the PC again but couldn't connect to the internet (I checked new drivers, etc). I tried a few cables but nothing, tested the same cables with another PC and they instantly worked. So i bought an USB Wifi adapter.
2) I already installed the lastest version of Mint, after hours of research about how to make my Wifi adapter work, i got the drivers. Perfect! i installed them, they worked perfectly fine. Next day, couldn't connect to my wifi network. It was a loop of "setting wireless <Name of the net>........." and after a few secs "No internet connection". So after a while i got mad and said F**K IT.
3) I downloaded Ubuntu, i installed it but... it doesn't have the source packages upgraded. So i couldn't install the drivers for the Wifi adapter. I don't wanna manually downloaded thousands of packages and dependencies and manually install them.

There's another distro that comes with all the packages like Mint to try it out and see if i can get Wifi connection without problems? or i just give up and use VMs? (i don't wanna split the resources of my pc, that was the main reason)

Hi!
So im trying to install Linux on my SATA SSD (i have windows 10 in the M.2), but there's a few problems.
1) The Ethernet port of the motherboard is broken. The cause was a power outage, after that i started the PC again but couldn't connect to the internet (I checked new drivers, etc). I tried a few cables but nothing, tested the same cables with another PC and they instantly worked. So i bought an USB Wifi adapter.
2) I already installed the lastest version of Mint, after hours of research about how to make my Wifi adapter work, i got the drivers. Perfect! i installed them, they worked perfectly fine. Next day, couldn't connect to my wifi network. It was a loop of "setting wireless <Name of the net>........." and after a few secs "No internet connection". So after a while i got mad and said F**K IT.
3) I downloaded Ubuntu, i installed it but... it doesn't have the source packages upgraded. So i couldn't install the drivers for the Wifi adapter. I don't wanna manually downloaded thousands of packages and dependencies and manually install them.

There's another distro that comes with all the packages like Mint to try it out and see if i can get Wifi connection without problems? or i just give up and use VMs? (i don't wanna split the resources of my pc, that was the main reason)
You may want to give MX-AHS a try Though Mint should work. MX found here. Make sure you download the AHS version. Good Luck

Thanks! im gonna try it out, if i can't make the WiFi adapter work, im just gonna use a VM :/
It may help us to help you if we knew which wifi dongle you have. What model # etc.

Is this on a laptop/netbook?
Make sure the Wi-Fi is enabled using the Wi-Fi switch [depending on the make it could be a dedicated switch, one of the F keys or a combination of FN and another key}

Is this on a laptop/netbook?
Make sure the Wi-Fi is enabled using the Wi-Fi switch [depending on the make it could be a dedicated switch, one of the F keys or a combination of FN and another key}
No no, it's a desktop PC!

This page may be of help. It's old but the procedure may still be the same.

Buy a USB to Ethernet (RJ45) adapter. I've never found one that doesn't work with Linux. I think the most I've spent on one was $30. I have more than one, 'cause I misplace stuff.

I get like four glasses of wine deep and 'organize' stuff. One might think I've learned my lesson, but I have not.

Members online

Latest posts