Helping with Lubuntu - a progress report...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Since I've started, I have learned so many things. I don't just test, I participate in the weekly meetings and remain in constant contact with the developers and the rest of the team. I can't speak highly enough of the Lubuntu team. They are absolutely fantastic.

On a project like Lubuntu, there are a lot of moving parts and it's pretty overwhelming when so much of it is new. As I learn more, they assign (or 'invite me to undertake' is a better description) new tasks. I'm currently learning how to triage bugs for example.

But, since I started, I've been able to make accepted suggestions where it's great to see them move forward on those suggestions. I've even learned how to make tasks and will be learning how to send things like pull requests to implement the changes directly.

But, it's the accepted suggestions that make a difference. In Lubuntu 21.04, you'll see ksystemlog installed by default. That was just suggested and started today. (I even made the task for it!) Slowly but surely, they give me more and more access to the systems behind the scenes as I learn more.

Anyhow, there's something I hadn't really expected. I knew that it'd feel pretty good to be helping, but it really feels great to know that you're helping to make the distro better. It feels great to see real, tangible differences that were started because you suggested it and, more importantly, helped bring those changes into existence.

So, again, I can't strongly enough urge you to get involved in the projects for the software you use. I have learned so much in just these short few months. Get involved! You can make a meaningful difference. They're happy to have the help and they'll find ways to fill up those spare hours you have. Not only will you make the project better, you'll feel good about it!

If you've been thinking about it, do it. They don't just need programmers. They need help in all areas. So far, I've not written a single line of code (for which you should be grateful) and yet I'm still able to contribute. If I can do it, so can't you.

Goodonyer :), now here's a question for you.

Does Lubuntu have in /etc/default/grub something like the following?

Code:
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#CRAP obsolete use videoinfo
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

(The 2nd last line is my comment, which I place in nearly every /etc/default/grub I have)

Manjaro have recently started doing this

Code:
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command 'videoinfo'
# Yeay!! Correct!!!
GRUB_GFXMODE=auto

Again, my comment in there :)

This (some might perceive as) minor discrepancy has been overlooked by the Devs for 6 - 7 years now, and Manjaro, AFAIK, is the only one so far to remedy it.

Perhaps Lubuntu might be the next?

Cheers

Wizard

I had a solution in place for this already! ;-)

To make a long story short, that was from a crispy default Lubuntu install - but it was in a VM located on a different computer that I'm using VNC to control. Pastebins are awesome!

@KGIII It sounds like interesting and rewarding work that you're doing there. Are you still enjoying it and what made you choose Lubuntu to work on?

I've just added Lubuntu 20.04.4 to my Ventoy USB, given it a quick spin and like what I see, it seems very responsive which is one of the things I like about Xfce. I'll have a more in depth 'play' later.

Cheers, DM.

what made you choose Lubuntu to work on?

It's my favorite distro. The people around the distro and involved with the distro are excellent. It has been a great, nay brilliant, source for new information. I have a pretty awesome contact that I call my mentor.

Lubuntu used to be aimed at older computers, so I found it was insanely fast on my more modern hardware. Today, we use LXQt instead of LXDE, but it's still zippy and still works great (from the testing done) on older hardware. I like the long term stability that's offered for a few years, as that's a priority for me.

It's my favorite distro. The people around the distro and involved with the distro are excellent. It has been a great, nay brilliant, source for new information. I have a pretty awesome contact that I call my mentor.

Lubuntu used to be aimed at older computers, so I found it was insanely fast on my more modern hardware. Today, we use LXQt instead of LXDE, but it's still zippy and still works great (from the testing done) on older hardware. I like the long term stability that's offered for a few years, as that's a priority for me.
Thanks for the reply, although I've got modern hardware I prefer to use a quick and light desktop. My experience of the Ubuntu flavours is fairly limited, I've installed Xubuntu for my Wife as I use the same desktop (albeit Mint) and have briefly tried Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate but didn't really care for either of them that much. Lubuntu seems different, I'll investigate further.

Lubuntu seems different, I'll investigate further.

I could go on - and I have elsewhere. I neglected to share what's probably my favorite reason to use Lubuntu - it gets out of my way and lets me do the tasks I need to do. I don't hate to futz with anything. The OS is in the background, requiring little attention, and really just works for me.

Latest posts