HOW DO I TRY LINUX

You are not old.. Just mature, look at the ages of most of our regular contributors[ well those brave enough to show them] you will find many of us are over 50, and a large proportion over 70

I think the Linux user base skews towards older people. We have more time. We have a long history with computers. Our first exposure to computers wasn't a phone, tablet, or Chromebook. Many of us were white-collar professionals (or still are, but are nearing the end of our careers).

That's just a guess based on what I see. I really only frequent a couple of Linux communities.

I think the Linux user base skews towards older people. We have more time. We have a long history with computers. Our first exposure to computers wasn't a phone, tablet, or Chromebook. Many of us were white-collar professionals (or still are, but are nearing the end of our careers).

That's just a guess based on what I see. I really only frequent a couple of Linux communities.
@Brickwizard / @KGIII :-

Over the decade I've been with the Puppy community, I can remember polls being started by at least 3 members to do with Puppy user age.....and on each occasion, they've shown - without a shadow of doubt - that our average user age is always mid-to-late 60s (with a sizeable proportion being 70 or older), so.....yeah.

I'd also agree that most of our membership are also long-term 'puter users; either as hobbyists (like myself; for the whole of my working life I never actually used one of these things at all, yet had been interested in them ever since the start of the "home computer revolution" in the early 80s), or as long-term users who had had to use them at work (for whatever reason). It's fair to say that most Linux users know their way around these "black magic boxes".....

(shrug...)

Mike. :p

@Brickwizard @KGIII @MikeWalsh

Sorry guys to burst your bubble but "older" community is not exclusive to Linux, when I was Windows user I've been active in one of the Windows forums where I know a good chunk of members were older people just like you.

I think it's more correct to say that a lot of forumers are older folks.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online