How to install multiple displays on Ubuntu

Mable

Reaction score
Credits
I have Ubuntu 20.04. When I go to displays to set up a second monitor (I am using a laptop), there is no way to do this (The screen just gives me options for resolution choices). I tried updating the system, but this did not change anything. What am I missing? Obviously, I am very new to Linux but want desperately to get out of windows (microsoft).

Is the second monitor connected and powered up? I don't know, but it may need to be discoverable before the add options are shown.
Also, make sure all required drivers are installed and up to date.
You also might try, if the button is available, clicking on restore defaults settings in the display window.

Is the second monitor connected and powered up? I don't know, but it may need to be discoverable before the add options are shown.
Also, make sure all required drivers are installed and up to date.
You also might try, if the button is available, clicking on restore defaults settings in the display window.
Thanks Danbor. Yes, the second monitor is connected and powered up. The button you refer to is not available. Looks like I will have to try a different version of Ubuntu or Linux and put it on a flash drive. Too bad this is so difficult as I LOVE Linux so far. Unfortunately, until I figure this stuff out I will have to keep running on a separate computer, my Windows 10.

I'm rather new to this myself, but I recently had issues adding a second monitor myself so I feel your frustration.
It looks to me like a problem with either a driver or the kernel.
Look elsewhere on this forum to find instructions on how to display your system information here. Those with the means to troubleshoot your issue are going to need more detail before they can help.
If you can post your system report here, it should provide the details needed to at least point you in the right direction.

Members online