HOW TO SET DEFAULT BROWSER/SEARCH ENGINE?

Emanate Presence

Reaction score
Credits
Short Version
Can someone please tell me how to set the default browser and search engine on Linux?

Long Version
After installing Brave browser and gaining some experience with it, and adding the crypto wallet extension which was the whole purpose of finding a compatible browser.... sent crypto to the wallet, then was unable to re-open wallet when I wanted to withdraw some.

Ah so. Finally contacted the super tech support of the crypto, Cardano, and they gave excellent help and suggested installing Chrome. Which I hadn't really wanted to do, but hey if it is the only way to get it to work....

Installed Chrome and see that I really don't want to use it for anything else then access to the wallet, and it seems very assertive about becoming the default browser/search engine, even when I answered it no, I don't want to set it as the default.

I ended up deleting Brave because it was hanging up so frequently and it was popping up ads in Portuguese which I don't understand, and I am really trying to keep things as simple as possible.

Now I am pretty content with using Firefox for my main browser and as said Chrome only for occasionally the crypto wallet. BUT, Chrome has asserted itself as the default search engine and I want to assert back that Firefox will be the browser and search engine of choice.

Run this in the terminal:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

That's usually the easiest way, though not all browsers show up.

There's also this:

2024-04-27_13-22.png

Run this in the terminal:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

That's usually the easiest way, though not all browsers show up.

There's also this:

View attachment 19642

The 'there's also this' seems to have worked perfectly!

Now DuckDuckGo shows as the default search engine.

That's a good step, next I will try to make sure Firefox is the default browser. Thanks.
DUCKDUCKGO.png

Members online

Latest posts