Installation problems

mvpcurtis

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for some help regarding the installation of Linux. I have a gaming PC with the following drives:
  • An M.2 drive (running Windows 11)
  • A SSD (for holding games and other programs)
  • An external HDD (for holding programs and documents)
I went out and purchased 3 3.0 64gb USB thumb drives to play around with Linux and hopefully one day in the future to use it as my main OS. The problem I'm having is that I keep running into some sort of error when the installation has finished and I have no idea why. We've all got to start somewhere though and that's why I'm here today.

My process (Ubuntu):
  • Use Windows to download a Ubuntu.
  • Use SD Card Formatter on USB thumb drive 1 (ready for Rufus to write the ISO).
  • Use SD Card Formatter on USB thumb drive 2 (just to clear the drive of anything).
  • Use Rufus to write the ISO to drive 1 and create a bootable drive.
  • Restart the machine, enter BIOS and change boot order (move Windows to the last choice) so the bootable drive can start.
  • Insert my 2nd USB thumb drive.
  • Ubuntu starts, I then click on "Try Ubuntu".
  • On the Ubuntu desktop, I then click on "Install Ubuntu".
  • The installation then starts, I then choose my keyboard layout, where I'm from, normal installation with third party sortware.
  • On the section where I choose my drive, I select the USB thumb drive 2 and manual partitions.
  • I click on "free space" under my drive, create my first partition: 300mb | Primary | Beginning of this space | EFI system partition.
  • I create my second partition: the rest of the space | Primary | Beginning of this space | Ext4 journaling file system | mount point: /
  • Select the 2nd thumb drive as a bootloader.
  • I then create my user and install Ubuntu.
  • Once the installation has finished, I remove the 1st USB thumb drive (installation medium) and press enter.
  • The machine restarts but starts Windows even though it's the last choice on the boot order.

I've tried multiple distros from Manjaro to Fedora but I can't get any of them to work. With Manjaro, the installlation stops half way through and gives me an error for /usr/bin/chroot.

If anyone is able to help me, it would mean a lot!
Thanks.

Welcome to the forums,
first find Windows quick start and dissable it then re-boot [usually in the bios, but some manufacturers place it elsewhere] unless you do this it will always boot to windows,
second make sure you check the Sha sum after burning the iso to usb
third remember to remove the iso pen-drive [not your target] when prompted to
use a good quality pen-drive of not less than 4 gb [try not to exceed 16 gb] for the ISO
try one of the Debian based distributions [mint is popular with beginners and an easy one to install]

Welcome to the forums,
first find Windows quick start and dissable it then re-boot [usually in the bios, but some manufacturers place it elsewhere] unless you do this it will always boot to windows,
second make sure you check the Sha sum after burning the iso to usb
third remember to remove the iso pen-drive [not your target] when prompted to
use a good quality pen-drive of not less than 4 gb [try not to exceed 16 gb] for the ISO
try one of the Debian based distributions [mint is popular with beginners and an easy one to install]

Thank you for the advice. Weirdly enough I managed to get Kali to work with no problems yet and I'm excited to learn it. I've been using Linux for a while through AWS (Ubuntu server) and I want to eventually make it my main OS. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea as to why the others failed to installed beside my inexperience?haha

First click on forums select distribution specific, select Kali and read post 2 & 4 before you get too excited.
Many things can go wrong during installation,
not disabling windows quick start
choosing the wrong build [ selecting a build for the wrong processor]
Failing to download and install the non-free driver pack
bad download or corrupt burn, [always check the SHA sums]
dodgy pen-drive [more common than you may think]
Brand new cutting edge kit [it can take about 6 months for the teams working on drivers to catch up]
using Rufus [it has known problems] try an alternative [Ballantine Etcher for example]
and the hardest one to fix is the processor controlling the fingers of the installer

I went ahead and slid this thread over to the Kali sub-forum.

Members online