Interesting Article About DuckDuckGo

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
Do you have a shotgun ready just in case?

I have a pretty extensive firearm collection, but they're almost always in a safe. I have a room in my basement dedicated to firearms, and the room is concrete blocks with a steel door. I'm more worried about my firearms being stolen (which is a low risk) than I am about using one.

I live in an area with almost zero crime. Since moving here, I'm in an unincorporated township, there have been two crimes. Once, someone broke into my garage and stole a whole lot of tools (picture a box truck worth of tools) and another one was a guy that got arrested for a drunk driving charge down the road from me. The garage was broken into while I was away on a trip. Everyone involved was arrested, including the pawn shop owner from many towns over that knowingly accepted stolen goods. I got almost all my stuff back. The only thing I didn't get back was my battle axe. (It's a long story as to why I had a battle axe.)

I do carry if there's reason to. I can conceal carry (anyone in Maine can, so long as they're over 18) but I figure open carry is more a deterrent.

For the record, I paid for my education by serving in the Marines. I can shoot. I probably won't, even if robbed. It's statistically safer to just give 'em my stuff. My stuff is insured. I like my stuff, but anything a thief is going to take can be replaced - except my damned battle axe, and even that can be sort of replaced.

I have a pretty extensive firearm collection, but they're almost always in a safe. I have a room in my basement dedicated to firearms, and the room is concrete blocks with a steel door.

For the record, I paid for my education by serving in the Marines. I can shoot.

You remind me of Al Simmons before he became Spawn. The only difference is you're not a government assassin.

I think I am going to do some experimenting hosting my own opensource search engine to see if that will work well enough for me.

I've tried Duck Duck Go in the past and it just did not return the results I needed to get answers fast.
As a result I ended up using Google and that seems to work for almost everything I'm searching for.

Start Page works well. I've never had a problem with it.

As far as security goes I really don't think it matters which search engine that we use as they will continue to impinge upon our privacy so I don't worry about that anymore.

We can't change what they do really and we certainly can't get anything done by worrying about it.
Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair rocking back and forth going no where. It's completely useless.

My 2 cents:-

The only thing I didn't get back was my battle axe. (It's a long story as to why I had a battle axe.)
Is that a euphemism for your wife? You know, the ol' Battleaxe! :p
I do carry if there's reason to. I can conceal carry (anyone in Maine can, so long as they're over 18) but I figure open carry is more a deterrent.
I'm a born and raised Texan (though now living in the US Northeast) though I'm the opposite. I believe open carry drastically increases the risk of getting shot during an active engagement. I follow this ideology. If I'm in a store and someone pulls a gun. If he knows I'm arm, I will most likely be the first person he fires at. Anyone trained in defense would have already been taught that you MUST mitigate an active threat first before proceeding with any other action.

If someone doesn't know I'm armed. It's an advantage. While you could bring up the point that if they see you're armed. They may hesitate, but how many times have we seen someone survey everyone before taking criminal action? Not many.

Is that a euphemism for your wife? You know, the ol' Battleaxe! :p

kelso burn.jpeg

They may hesitate, but how many times have we seen someone survey everyone before taking criminal action? Not many.

LOL In an active shooter situation, I'm not responding. I'm a human, not Rambo. It's there to keep stupid people from thinking they might want to take my stuff. That's the only reason. If there's an active shooter, I'm getting out of dodge. Hell, I might even shoot you to get you out of my way 'cause I'm coming through.

It's not even there for self defense. It's just there to keep stupid people from doing stupid things. It's kinda like the locks on my doors. They just keep honest people honest.

As far as security goes I really don't think it matters which search engine that we use as they will continue to impinge upon our privacy so I don't worry about that anymore.

We can't change what they do really and we certainly can't get anything done by worrying about it.
Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair rocking back and forth going no where. It's completely useless.

My 2 cents:-

NzE5Ni5qcGc

I do online banking thru wired connection to my bank. No info entered, just click pay the water, electric with an utility company account, my bank takes it from there. If I buy online it is Amazon. Other than that for tech I stop at my local Microcenter. Still use cash in stores and get looks from the younger gen.
Get comments like, We have Apple Pay etc..... like a am non techie. I once said I have memory sticks older than you.

Just a few comments though, the connection on that website is not secure. How can a website called Techrights complain about privacy of DDG while using a self-signed certificate? Also I could not find any other tech or privacy websites complaining about this and I can't take it as truth because of that. I did ask the question about DDG in a privacy community and they said they had recently discussed DDG and they came to the conclusion that DDG can still be trusted. As for trying to run my own search engine using Yacy, it's going to be limited with search results compared to the ones already out there and would take a long time to configure before it would be of any use even when connected to the main indexer so for now I'll be using Brave search and DDG.

As for trying to run my own search engine using Yacy, it's going to be limited with search results compared to the ones already out there and would take a long time to configure before it would be of any use even when connected to the main indexer

When I looked at it years and years ago (or so it seems), I came to the same conclusion. It was more effort than I was willing to put in for too little gain - and the results wouldn't have been all that great.

I wasn't doing so for privacy reasons, or anything like that. I was just looking at it out of curiosity.

Good Article !~!
We like to call it the "easy button" for privacy. That's what we're trying to build. And I think that's what people want: They don't want tons of different choices and controls, they just want not to be tracked and targeted online.""

Thumbs Up to that !!