is youtubes ad blocker detection breaking EU privacy laws?

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits

Someone on Reddit published an EU ruling on ad blocking, but it wasn't all that clear what the courts had decided. From my layman's view, it looked like they can deny access to content if you block ads but can't forbid the use of ad blocking. In other words, you're free to block ads and they're free to just not show you the content.

While confusing, at least to me, it comes down to content ownership. They're free to disallow access.

When you upload your content to YouTube, you're giving them pretty much unlimited distribution rights. So, they can stop you from viewing without also viewing ads.

From the post, they had pictures of a typed copy of the ruling, they also indicated that it was the only time the courts had ruled on the subject.

Now, the method used to implement anti-adblocking may violate the EU laws. But, blocking is within the EU laws - at least according to that ruling.

Again, I'm just a layperson. While I did some classes on law, that was US law. I am decidedly not a lawyer. I am also not your lawyer. None of what I say should be considered legal advice.

Me? A script may notice that you're blocking ads on my Linux site. It'll happily tell you that you're blocking ads. You can just dismiss it and, assuming you allow cookies, it shouldn't bug you again for at least 30 days.

I like it if you view the ads. I like it even more if you click on the ads that interest you. That's pretty much the only thing that offsets the costs of hosting the site and paying for the CDN. But, I don't insist that you do so. I'm okay with you viewing my content without contributing.

What i think the problem is how youtube detects the add blocker.

They don't mess with my ad blocker, though I pay for Youtube Music (used to be Youtube Red) so I guess it doesn't matter since I don't see ads on Youtube.

What i think the problem is how youtube detects the add blocker.

Yeah, that may run afoul of the law.

Don't forget that Google has a whole lot of money. That may be less important in the EU, however.

They don't mess with my ad blocker, though I pay for Youtube Music (used to be Youtube Red) so I guess it doesn't matter since I don't see ads on Youtube.

Yeah, as you pay you shouldn't see ads.

But, importantly, not everyone is a part of this. It's just the luck of the draw, I suppose. It hasn't been completely rolled out, which has meant a bunch of disinformation out there.

They did it before, trying to 'force' you to watch adverts.....my solution was just to move on to something else... :D

They did it before, trying to 'force' you to watch adverts.....my solution was just to move on to something else... :D
Moving where? All music is on YouTube, all the daily news and entertainment. If you have a nearly close alternative please share

Moving where? All music is on YouTube, all the daily news and entertainment. If you have a nearly close alternative please share

You can even export your data from YouTube and add it to Invidious or even FreeTube. FreeTube is a free YouTube viewer that has a Linux version.

It seems youtube can do whatever they like.
t2407.gif

I now get this...
2023-12-22-15-27.png

I'm not turning off my ad blocker.
t2406.gif

uBlock tends to work. When it stops working, remove and refresh the rules. If that doesn't work, wait an hour and someone will have updated rules that you can sync.

Well whatever I did...no more nasty notice...
2023-12-22-15-57.png

I still have ublock and the one above enabled.
m1212.gif

Members online