Just asking for opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
Just asking for opinions.
No need to "take names..."

After being recently publicly analyzed and found rude , I would like to ask the forum

how do you react to post which do not stay on the subject and often indicate lack of attention to the original post?

For crude example , when I ask

how do you …. ?

and get

Is there a question ?

In real physical encounter with such situation I choose to challenge the situation – as openly as I can and in my own style. I do not win friends, but that is NOT my objective anyway.

That does not work at many cases in forums . The “discussion” often turns into one sided criticism of my style instead to the resolution of the issue.

I still think I have two choices – but modifying my style to conform to some kinda of perceived standard is not one of them -

Continue discussion and letting the parties that staying on subject is

preferred …

OR

just drop it all

you can lead the horse to the water but you cannot make him drink

and some bullies are just immune to anything reasonable -

so what is the point of continuing the discussion which often ends in one sided - no more discussion anyway ?

Just asking for opinions.
After being recently publicly analyzed and found rude , I would like to ask the forum

how do you react to post which do not stay on the subject and often indicate lack of attention to the original post?

how do you …. ?

and get

Is there a question ?

In real physical encounter with such situation I choose to challenge the situation – as openly as I can and in my own style. I do not win friends, but that is NOT my objective anyway.

That does not work at many cases in forums . The “discussion” often turns into one sided criticism of my style instead to the resolution of the issue.

I still think I have two choices – but modifying my style to conform some kinda of perceived standard is not one of them -

Continue discussion and letting the parties that staying on subject is

preferred …

OR

just drop it all

you can lead the horse to the water but you cannot make him drink

and some bullies are just immune to anything reasonable -

so what is the point of continuing the discussion which often ends in one sided - no more discussion anyway ?

Just asking for opinions. Let's keep it civilized - and hopefully open....

I've been answering and asking in forums since 1999, and English is not my first language.

how do you …. ?

and get

Is there a question ?

Sometimes, the questions we ask are not as clear as we may think. It's perfectly normal to be asked for more details, or for further clarification.

It should not be an issue, it's just an attempt to understand the problem so that you can be helped with.

We are a mixed bunch some of us hardware orientated, some software and some are just plain users with acquired knowledge,
so when you ask a question each of us will see a different potential answer, we also have our own preferred method to gain further information,
being a hardware man I will usually start with asking for an inxi report, from which i can spot potential physical & driver problems.
replies like.."it didn't work", "I haven't got inxi" are not helpful to anyone, but "I haven't got inxi how do I install it" is it shows the poster is willing to work with us to try and solve the problem,

Lack of information in asking for basic help also starts the tone of any conversation,
"my screen has gone funny" not only lacks substance but is a statement not a question,, more appropriate would be.. "I moved my computer now when I switch on ,I get wiggly lines across the screen" or "I have bought a new computer it works fine in windows/mac/android but I cant get the Wi-fi to work"
but always start a new question with machine information "I have a dell 1540 about 10 yrs old," or "I have a Chromebook XXXXX"
then the question with as much information you can give, and which distribution you are using/trying to use

you may have see the.. "why is linux such rubbish" type questions, thease are off handed and confrontational, and they are a bad way to try and start a conversation especially if you are expecting to get help, the start of any conversation will set the tone.

Last edited:
I've been answering and asking in forums since 1999, and English is not my first language.

Sometimes, the questions we ask are not as clear as we may think. It's perfectly normal to be asked for more details, or for further clarification.

It should not be an issue, it's just an attempt to understand the problem so that you can be helped with.
Being a non English speaking person myself, perhaps I should clarify my example.

If I post
"how do I set my PC to connect to my i-phone using Bluetooth ?"

I expect
" use application called Bluetooth manager and check for your "nearby Bluetooth devices " first ,,,,"

However all I really received was

"is there a question ? "

So I did question if the poster actually read my post at all.

Cheers

Being a combination of software and hardware person , in "customer service " for hire, for many years, I have never questioned the knowledge of whomever I was engaged in resolution of the issue. I am not about to start now.

Nor did I question his /hers style.

My technical objective was always to find "common ground ", sometime literary - a real ground of the system .

Cheers

Being a non English speaking person myself, perhaps I should clarify my example.

If I post
"how do I set my PC to connect to my i-phone using Bluetooth ?"

I expect
" use application called Bluetooth manager and check for your "nearby Bluetooth devices " first ,,,,"

However all I really received was

"is there a question ? "

So I did question if the poster actually read my post at all.

Cheers

I don't know the thread you are referring to, or if it's just a loosely related example, but I suspect it a massive misrepresentation of any thread you have actually started.

I would say posters with many questions should refrain from then questioning the need for screenshots, or whatever is requested in order to help them. Your expectations are irrelevant, as per your example, you wouldn't be told to use anything, you'd be asked what your PC is running.

It might be worth remembering that on top of everything, your questions/responses might not be entirely clear if you are translating them from a relatively distant language, or if you are not a native speaker and are writing from scratch.

As an example, I have noticed your fondness for this idiom. But the two times you have used it have made absolutely no sense whatsoever, unless you were making fun of yourself. If someone is asking for help, the phrase only makes sense if said person has been given everything they need and still don't use it. Those trying to help cannot be the "horse". If they are not trying to help, then they are not trying to lead a horse to water.

I asked for opinions and I am getting them.
That is fine in general. .
I still like to know , when confronted with switching from technical aspect of discussion to something unrelated
would you prefer to " continue the discussion"
or just
quit without giving any explanation to the other party ?

Sorry I am waiting for some process to complete - so have some time to chat....
( somewhat not nice from me )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts