Kali Linux Live USB Menu Missing

murtaza2502

Reaction score
Credits
Hello folks! Thanks for having me here

I had been using Kali Linux Live 2023.1 on my USB and it was working fine, except for some apt update issues. I decided to format the USB and flash Kali Live 2024.2 using Rufus, exactly like before.

When I enter the DELL boot options and select my Kali Live USB under UEFI Boot, the screen goes black, nothing appears - even after waiting.

If I press enter, Kali Linux boots and starts, working perfectly - however, only the live boot menu is missing. How can I fix the live boot menu?

I suppose the black screen is actually the boot menu, which is just not visible

Any guidance or suggestions on how to get the boot menu to show up would be highly appreciated.

Troubleshooting attempted:-
  • Downloaded new kali-2024.2 live iso file
  • Full formatted my USB drive and flashed again
  • Tried secure boot
  • Reflashed with Balena Etcher
  • Reflashed with Rufus slow format
  • Flashed older version (Kali Live 2024.1)
  • Flashed Kali Live Weekly Release

Flash steps:
16 GB KINGSTON
MBR
6 GB Persistence

Should I try flashing again without any Rufus persistence? Rufus used to have an option that would prompt and ask the preferred flash method (Hybrid ISO or DD), now it doesn't seem to ask that anymore, could this be the issue?

KALI is working perfectly fine, only the live boot menu (UEFI) is missing

Attachments

• RDT_20240606_222856386420245104740360.png
    RDT_20240606_222856386420245104740360.png
    743.4 KB · Views: 41

Check the integrity of the USB flash drive [they don't last forever, especially when being used as a permanent ext drive]

Check the integrity of the USB flash drive [they don't last forever, especially when being used as a permanent ext drive]
Thank you for your response. I have checked the USB for bad blocks, and re-flashed with runtime UEFI media validation - still the same issue, the boot menu is invisible.

How can I fix the live boot menu?
Can you get the grub menu up by either tapping Esc [EUFI] or shift [BIOS] whilst switching on? if so go to Kali advanced options, and select repair grub

if not boot Kali open terminal and try sudo update-grub,

Welcome to the Forum.
1717803691258.gif

Members online

Latest posts