Mac to Linux?

J

Joel D

Hi there Linux people!
I have recently started to learn about coding and general programming in my spare time and Linux keeps on popping up in forums. I'm happy with my Mac IOS so far, but I was just wondering if there was any benefit of using Linux to learn how to code and whatnot because it seems like you dive straight into it?
Till now I thought I was pretty tech savvy but it seems I have a lot to learn.
The same pros keep on popping up about it being virus free, faster, bla bla bla...
But is there any thing else in particular Linux is good for?

because it seems like you dive straight into it
No, you don't need to dive straight into coding and programming with Linux if you don't want to.

You can try it on your Mac, by dual booting, if you want to try it. That way you will be able to choose either system. Have a look at something like http://www.howtogeek.com/187410/how-to-install-and-dual-boot-linux-on-a-mac/

Linux is not entirely virus free but you are not likely to meet one in the wild. Most people write viruses for Microsoft Windows, less people write them for the Mac and even less for Linux.

is there any thing else in particular Linux is good for?
You might look here: http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

I run VMWare Fusion on my imac of course you have to buy it but you can install windows/linux/Unix systems on it while keeping the ability to play about with the different flavors. I find it much better than running vmware workstation under windows. As usual on a mac it just works no need to install anything but the OS. It will automatically scale to your size or you can run it full screen making it appear to be running just the OS in VMware. Just my two cents....or course as mentioned you can do a dual boot setup too.

Well, MacOS is (iirc) FreeBSD under the skin, so you could just do much of what you want in a terminal session. There are very few differences between Linux and MacOS, primarily in how the file system initializes files, mmap, and things like that. Also, you'll find a different default shell, but you can change that.

If you are interested in a graphical UI, you'll need more, but almost anything command-line based will be very similar.

Finally, there's Fink, which is a package manager that works similarly to your typical Linux package manager.

There are very few differences between Linux and MacOS, primarily in how the file system initializes files, mmap, and things like that. Also, you'll find a different default shell, but you can change that.
You, sir, are speaking treason. If only this were a monarchy....:p

Members online