[Solved] Minor driver and Gnome issues

Bookiepenguin

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I am new to Linux.org, I have made various other posts to Reddit and other Linux forums regarding issues with Debian on my laptop. The main issue for me at the moment is that all apps will not run. I had this issue before and it somehow miraculously vanished after an update. I have now updated the system again and once more all apps will not run. For example, Gnome-extensions exists graphicly, but not in the terminal. I am unable to uninstall or install this app. Same goes for Nvidia-Xserver-settings, which used to work, but now somehow does not seem to exist.

I am uncertain exactly what is the cause, but I think it might be that my laptop has amd igpu and Nvidia gpu. This causes the drivers to constantly change and be verry unpredictable. Before I had the Nvidia drivers working with intel instead of amd Renoir. I tried to resolve this by removing and purging the Intel driver and then installing Renoir. Sadly, this removed Nvidia also, meaning everything works, but gpu can be slow sometimes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve these issues?

Link to reddit_

The recommended way is by installing the package nvidia driver from your distribution's defautl repositories.

What version of Debian are you running?

but I think it might be that my laptop has amd igpu and Nvidia gpu.

Are you saying that you have 2 graphic's cards?
IF so what GPU's do you have?

I don't have experience with control of 2 GPU's on a Linux system; however I'm thinking that you may be able to control one of the GPU's by disabeling it in the BIOS. See the article below. I hope it helps.

How To Use Multiple Gpus Linux?​

Debian Testing WiKi:

but I think it might be that my laptop has amd igpu and Nvidia gpu.

Are you saying that you have 2 graphic's cards?
IF so what GPU's do you have?

I don't have experience with control of 2 GPU's on a Linux system; however I'm thinking that you may be able to control one of the GPU's by disabeling it in the BIOS. See the article below. I hope it helps.

How To Use Multiple Gpus Linux?​

Debian Testing WiKi:
Sorry for the late reply, yes, I have 2 Gpus making all distros near impossible to use. I once got both gpus to work on Debian, but I suppose I should be happy enough that everything works. Thanks for the help! I can now close that chapter and be happy with my system as it is.

Sorry for the late reply, yes, I have 2 Gpus making all distros near impossible to use. I once got both gpus to work on Debian, but I suppose I should be happy enough that everything works. Thanks for the help! I can now close that chapter and be happy with my system as it is.
You're welcome-
So what distro are you running now?

Did the How To Use Multiple GPU's help?

I went ahead and edited the title to add solved, per post #5 ITT.

Members online