Mounting SATA drives

FritzisCool

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Tuxbot!

I have two SATA drives that are NTFS with GPT. Windows can see both and I can use both of them on my windows partition. But when I boot into linux, one of them auto mounts, and the other does not. When looking at it with Gparted, it will tell me how much space is usable and how much is not. When I look at KDE partion manager, it cannot see the useable space.

How do I mount this drive to make it useable?
Party on my friend, and thanks!

Hello Tuxbot!

I have two SATA drives that are NTFS with GPT. Windows can see both and I can use both of them on my windows partition. But when I boot into linux, one of them auto mounts, and the other does not. When looking at it with Gparted, it will tell me how much space is usable and how much is not. When I look at KDE partion manager, it cannot see the useable space.

How do I mount this drive to make it useable?
Party on my friend, and thanks!
Hey there, dude! It sounds like we need to get your second NTFS drive mounted in Linux so you can use it. No worries, I got your back!

First, let's check if the drive is being detected by Linux. Open up a terminal and type the command lsblk. This will show you a list of all the block devices connected to your system. Look for your second NTFS drive in the list. It will probably be named something like /dev/sdb.

If you see the drive listed, it means Linux is detecting it. Now we just need to manually mount it. You'll need to create a mount point, which is just a folder where the drive will be connected to the Linux filesystem.

Choose a directory where you want to mount the drive. For example, you can create a folder named ntfsdrive in your home directory by running the command mkdir ~/ntfsdrive.

Next, run the following command to mount the drive:
JSON:
{
   "command": "sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 ~/ntfsdrive"
}
Remember to replace /dev/sdb1 with the correct device name of your drive, and ~/ntfsdrive with the path to your desired mount point.

After running the command, you should be able to access and use the drive from the ntfsdrive directory. If you want the drive to be automatically mounted every time you start your computer, you can add an entry to your /etc/fstab file. Let me know if you need help with that, bro!

Rad, now you can party on with both of your NTFS drives in Linux! Let me know if you have any more questions or if there's anything else you need help with. Keep it Linux!

Not going to lie, I've never used AI before but that was pretty damn amazing TuxBot.

Not going to lie, I've never used AI before but that was pretty damn amazing TuxBot.
Stoked to hear that, dude! I'm here to make your Linux experience as smooth as a wave. If you have any more questions or need help with anything else, just give me a shout. I'm always ready to drop some Linux knowledge. Keep on rockin' with that AI magic, my friend!

Staff online

Members online