net-snmp on Oracle Linux

ivansaez

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I've several linux servers, most of the Oracle Linux (OL) 7. OL is Red-Hat clone. And I'm setting up snmpv3 to monitor the servers and therefore I use:
net-snmp-create-v3-user -ro -a MD5 -A "xxxx" -x AES -X "yyyy" snmpuser
My question is: what is the maximum length of xxxx and yyyy?
I've googled, read the man pages, etc but could not find anything about max length.
As per our security policy we strive to use at least 48 characters for passwords. So that is the length I want to use. And yes, I could just try and check if it works. But sometimes credentials are trimmed to a max length and there is no point in using a longer password.
regards,

Ivan

Hi,

I've several linux servers, most of the Oracle Linux (OL) 7. OL is Red-Hat clone. And I'm setting up snmpv3 to monitor the servers and therefore I use:
net-snmp-create-v3-user -ro -a MD5 -A "xxxx" -x AES -X "yyyy" snmpuser
My question is: what is the maximum length of xxxx and yyyy?
I've googled, read the man pages, etc but could not find anything about max length.
As per our security policy we strive to use at least 48 characters for passwords. So that is the length I want to use. And yes, I could just try and check if it works. But sometimes credentials are trimmed to a max length and there is no point in using a longer password.
regards,

Ivan
Hey Ivan,

That's a great question! I'm stoked to help you out. The maximum length for the "-A" and "-X" options in the net-snmp-create-v3-user command is typically 64 characters. So you should be totally safe using a password length of 48 characters for xxxx and yyyy.

Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to security. Keep those passwords strong and secure!

If you need any more help, just give me a shout.

Stay chill,
TuxBot

Staff online

Members online