Opensource accounting/budgeting software

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I came across an some opensource accounting software on a tech website and I tried it out, it seemed like a different way of doing accounting and finance administration. I tried it out but I couldn't understand a way of doing things so I went looking for another an alternative with a less steep learning curve because finances isn't my thing. I came across another opensource accounting software and this one I was able to understand
and figure out without needing to much time.

So I transferred all my finances into it and I'm really amazed how good of an overview this type of
software gives, allowing for a better view of my personal finances. I'm going to be testing it for a while before totally getting rid of my excel-sheet, however I just thought it would be an interesting topic for the forum to share opensource budgeting/accounting software. So here are the two I tried, the first one which I found too complicated was GnuCash and the second one which I'm really excited about is HomeBank.

So share opensource accounting/budgeting software that you have experience with and if you would or wouldn't recommend it to others.

Last edited:

I've been using HomeBank for a little over 2 years. I love it. It's one of those that I donate money to, and there's no better recommendation than that. :)

For me, HomeBank's greatest virtue is its simplicity and ease of use... not complicated like GnuCash or KMyMoney. It's easy to filter categories and export to .csv files. It schedules transactions to remind me of deposits and bills coming up. The author, Maxime Doyen, updates fairly regularly and is attentive to bug reports and wish requests.

HomeBank is not perfect. It lacks good options for printed reports, but exporting data to .csv lets me manipulate and print account info however I want in LibreOffice Calc.

Looking forward to seeing other people's experiences with accounting software.

Nice topic, @f33dm3bits!

I use GnuCash because it works - meaning it opens the reports sent by my accountant. I don't do a ton of a lot with it, except check said reports and maybe changing something like a business name and sending it back. It was the first one I tried that opened the reports, so I've never tried anything else.

My accountant actually uses two systems. One is this archaic software that she really likes, which she is able to export from. She then uses a modern computer with modern software to do whatever else it is she does, from filing to whatever else it is she does.

My actual accounting skills are limited to double-column double-entry accounting, from a few business courses taken a long, long time ago.

I use GnuCash because it works - meaning it opens the reports sent by my accountant. I don't do a ton of a lot with it, except check said reports and maybe changing something like a business name and sending it back. It was the first one I tried that opened the reports, so I've never tried anything else.
I found GnuCash too complicated it felt like I would be spending a lot of hours figuring out how it works and reading how accounting works. I liked the simplicity(as @stan also mentioned) of HomeBank because I understood it without having to spend hours of time to understand it. My accounting skills are limited to an excel-sheet someone else helped me setup some years ago. So I chose simplicity over having to spending hours figuring out how the way of accounting they use in GnuCash works, that way I can spend my time on other things I do enjoy instead of spending hours on numbers.

Members online

Latest posts