Permission change due to update

LinuxNewbie43

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I am new to Linux and the forum so please bare with me. I have a question about permission changes to executables due to a possible update. I'm running an older Linux release: RHEL 6... and I ran into a situation where the permissions on 2 executables where changed/reset and I believe this was due to an update.
Both scp and ssh seem to have been updated on Apr 27 and the permissions/ownership changed at that time.

-rwx-----. 1 root root 67648 Apr 27 00:55 /usr/bin/scp
-rwx-----. 1 root root 450728 Apr 27 00:55 /usr/bin/ssh

AFAIK RHEL 6, which is out of support no longer receives updates. I have corrected both permission problems but I wanted to know what possibly could have updated these 2 executables. No other executable in the /usr/bin directory were updated. I searched the syslogs and there is nothing in the logs that would clue me in on why these two were changed/updated. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Perhaps RHEL 6 is still pushing out security only updates?

There are two ways you can find that out.
1. If you have audit logging setup on those files, then you can check your audit.log file to see what happened.
2. Download the source rpm and extract it and then read the rpm spec file which contains what actions are executed when the rpm is installed.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts