Red Hat Linux Enterprise Server 7.6 installation problem

Steve Gere

Reaction score
Credits
I am putting it on a second hard drive, turning off the first hard drive in BIOS. It appears the hard drive is formatted in the XFS file system. Most Linux installs require FAT 32, so that's my first question. Then I need to figure out how to format it to FAT 32. I am doing a USB boot, I go through the process, it says it's installed and to boot up to it, I end up with command prompt text only, no GUI desktop. I sign in, startx does nothing, yum has no repositories, and the other options the "manual" says do nothing. I boot up to the first drive, analyze the second drive with Linux mint, it shows a 54 GB partition with the Red Hat data within it (It is listed separately from the hard drive itself, the drive shows 442 GB). The install media was checked twice, its okay.
So my second question is, what do I need to do to get this operational? This was the 4.5 GB install, not the 500 meg. I can see and have created a share to the 54 GB partition, I think I can copy in repositories or pertinent video card drivers. I have disabled the integral to the mother board video card and installed a nice Nvidia card into a PCI slot. This covers all the variables I can see. Hoping for help, and Thanks in advance. Steve

You have installed the server edition.

Servers are normally "headless". That is, they are installed without a GUI. They are normally accessed remotely by other computers.

I kinda get that, there are options via Troubleshooting that offer GUI via the video card, but then, how do you access the server? How do you identify it? Will be an interesting learning experience.

Staff online

Members online