Running Mint with Intel/Nvidia Hybrid GPU via OptimusTutorial

xlbooyahlx

Reaction score
Credits
After distro hopping most of the majors, and quite a few minor distros, I've come to the conclusion (my opinion, not true for everyone) that there is no easier distro than Mint when running a hybrid Intel/Nvidia GPU setup. More, and more we're seeing laptops with this configuration. Personally, my main computer is an Intel® NUC 11 Phantom Canyon NUC11PHKi7C (Very small form factor PC approx 7" x 5" x 1.5") which has both Intel Iris XE, and Nvidia RTX 2060 GPUs, along with an 11th gen Intel Core i7 CPU. Configuring them in most distros at the least has been frustrating, and at most a major PITA!

In mint, after install and updates, super key, or click start button, type driver and click on driver manager.
It will populate with your NVidia drivers. I always choose just one below the latest, in this case "nvidia-driver-525" especially after all the problems that arose after a recent update on the "nvidia-driver-535" (your choice).
Make your choice, and click "apply changes".
When it's finished reboot your system.

driver-manager.png

Upon reboot you'll have a new icon in your panel (see picture below)
optimus.png

Left click on the Nvidia icon (circled in light blue in photo above) and a menu will pop up with your GPU Choices.
  • Switch to Intel (power saving mode)
  • Switch to Nvidia On Demand
  • Switch to Nvidia Performance mode (runs everything on your Nvidia GPU) which is where mine stays as it's not a laptop with a battery.

It really is that EASY, and NO ONE makes it easier than Linux Mint!

I hope this helps someone out in the future ;)

did you have to boot the installer usb in Compatibility Mode and boot the initial time after install using nomodeset in order to install the proprietary drivers? i don't recall having to do so (it's been a while since the install) on my thinkpad W540 with an NVIDIA GK107GLM [Quadro K1100M] and an intel igpu, but for folks that do i can see how that might be a barrier.

did you have to boot the installer usb in Compatibility Mode and boot the initial time after install using nomodeset in order to install the proprietary drivers? i don't recall having to do so (it's been a while since the install) on my thinkpad W540 with an NVIDIA GK107GLM [Quadro K1100M] and an intel igpu, but for folks that do i can see how that might be a barrier.
No, nothing but what I posted, and as i said, "It really is that easy" lol ;)

i appreciate that it might be that easy for some. adding this in case it isn't: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vera_cinnamon.php

Solving freezes during the boot sequence​

Some graphics cards don't work well with the open-source driver present in Linux Mint.

If Linux Mint freezes during boot time, use the "Compatibility Mode" boot option.

In this mode you should be able to boot Linux Mint and install it on your computer.

After the installation, reboot the computer and wait for the boot menu to appear.

Add the "nomodeset" option as illustrated below:
Note: If you still cannot boot try one of the following solutions:

Try with "nouveau.noaccel=1" instead of "nomodeset".
Try with "noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll" instead of "quiet splash".
After the installation, use "Advanced Options" -> "Recovery mode" from the boot menu and choose "resume".

i appreciate that it might be that easy for some. adding this in case it isn't: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vera_cinnamon.php
Had to check my calendar for exact figures.
18 Intel/Nvidia Hybrid laptops installs (RTX 1650 and newer) for clients to date starting with Mint 20.0 (not inluding multiple installs on my machine), and they all went off without a hitch. I know that's not a large sample, but it's worked flawlessly every time.

Members online