Running Windows 11 live?

fx9

Reaction score
Credits
Good day all!

I recently upgraded to an XPS 13 and I have been running Mint on it for close to a year. The motherboard gave up on it and I needed it for work. I had to buy a replacement. I got an Ideapad on sale and sent the XPS off for repair. I was just sent a new unit and received it today.

I have some proprietary software for my guitar amps and other things that only work with Windows. I was dual booting for a while, but that got old and I wanted the hard drive space. Same with the virtual machine. It wasn't fluid and I just opted not to use the software.

I swapped the SSD before sending back the XPS so I still have my computer as it was. I am planning to clone this SSD to have duplicate computers so I have a constant back up. I also want to clone the windows SSD with one I have arriving tomorrow. I was thinking I could just swap hardrives for a period if I was playing with the proprietary software. Then I got thinking that I am getting an SSD USB enclosure for cloning.

So now the question is.. Can I run Windows live the same as I would linux off of a USB? I realize windows is much clinkier, but it is the same 512Gb 2280 SSD it was running on internally. Does it matter if I am booting from an internal SSD or USB mounted. >Transfer speed restictions?

Any thoughts, advice, or concerns?

Thanks for any input. I imagine it is pretty simple, just a little out of the ordinary for me, and most people live boot linux and run Windows, but Windows is the devil. I can't handle it for daily use.

Last edited:

...but it is the same 512Mb 2280 SSD it was running on internally.

512 GB, I am guessing, but no, I can't help.

Good luck

Wizard

It is doubtful it will work
in the good old days when you installed windows you had to enter the licence number, for quite a few years now the windows have been electronically registered when you first activate it, it is the MB identification number that is used for this. Changing the MB will normally give the buy a Windows licence message.

Reactions: fx9
So now the question is.. Can I run Windows live the same as I would linux off of a USB? I realize windows is much clinkier, but it is the same 512Gb 2280 SSD it was running on internally. Does it matter if I am booting from an internal SSD or USB mounted. >Transfer speed restictions?

Any thoughts, advice, or concerns?
If you need windows only to be able to use guitar software but want Linux for everything else then I suggest you run Windows in a VM.
The only problem is whether anything needs to be passed trough, like sound card and so on.

Reactions: fx9
If you need windows only to be able to use guitar software but want Linux for everything else then I suggest you run Windows in a VM.
The only problem is whether anything needs to be passed trough, like sound card and so on.
That is what I was doing before and it was hit and miss. It worked when I set it up, but 2 weeks later I would go to use it and it wouldn't connect properly.

I figured it would be easy, and without Windows being involved I guess it would be. The XPS has a pretty solid case and it snaps together well without the screws. It wouldn't be that hard to swap SSD's on occasion, I just thought I could make it easier with the enclosure.

It sure is easier to break up with windows than put in all of the work to keep a dysfunctional relationship going.

Perhaps I should ditch windows, make a copy of this drive for a backup, then install Ubuntu Studio.

@fx9
I could help but to do so I would need to be there or have a ton of information possibly to reproduce the problem.
In any case solution with VM should exist, it's only if you're willing to troubleshoot, if not, having 2 disks is not bad idea and it's straightforward.

Last edited:

Members online