Samsung SSD shows no MBR....

G

GIL HIGGINS

I'm Trying to install Linux Mint 15 as a Dual Boot OS with Windows 10... BUT for some reason there is no recognition of Win10 even being on the SSD, I have tried LM15 actually LM17.3 and like it pretty good as it runs off my USB Stick, I figure it can only get faster and Better once it is installed on my Hard Drive (SSD) When I installed the SSD I used Samsung Magician to install it I'm Not sure if that has Anything to do with my current problem or Not... the LM Install Program just doesn't see the other (Win10 HOME) Operating systems MBR and fails to acknowledge the presence of Any other OS??
MY SSD is a Samsung840 500GB with 389GB freeSpace, I have 16GB DDR3 Memory, and NO idea as to what I am Doing wrong......HELP....Please!!??

Last edited:

Hi Gil, and welcome. First, remember that installing an operating system is NOT a trivial thing to do. You are at great risk of making your Win 10 system unbootable and losing data. Even people with a lot of experience can run into problems or issues, especially with newer systems like yours. In older computers, there was a thing called BIOS (Basic Input Output System) that controlled the startup of a computer. The old BIOS has been replaced with a thing called UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) instead, although it is often still commonly called BIOS. There is no standard and every manufacturer makes UEFI differently. This pretty much means its likely that no one can give you step-by-step details on how to install Linux on your computer, but installation does roughly follow some common procedures.

Before you do anything... you should make a set of "recovery DVD's" for your Windows 10 system. Sometimes you have to save the recovery to a USB instead. Whatever the case... MAKE A RECOVERY SET so that you can start over again if things go wrong. This also includes backing up any critical files that you have. If you have to install a recovery, it will wipe everything on your drive.

I don't know if the Samsung Magician will affect your ability to install Linux alongside Windows or not. But before you begin you should also Google and read all you can about setting up a dual-boot installation with Linux, and especially with Windows 10. You typically will need to defrag your Windows partition, and then "shrink" the partition to make room for Linux. When you shrink it and create a new space, do not format the new space. Linux will format when you install.

Some Linux distros work very well with UEFI, and some only work with certain UEFI systems. This is a pain. And it can turn the process into a sort of trial and error to get a Linux working sometimes. You definitely want to use a newer Linux distro because of UEFI compatibility... so choose LM 17.3 and not LM 15. Linux Mint is a good choice and has a very good chance at working well for you, but I have a UEFI laptop that will not run Mint well, or at all (I've quit trying for now).

Linux will run screaming fast on your SSD once you get it installed. And I hope that you will prefer it to Windows as you get more used to it. But I hope that you do not run into some of the difficulties that I've mentioned. It can be very frustrating if things don't go right, but that is a very real possibility because of UEFI. You really need to be prepared in case things go wrong... and best of all is to have a friend nearby with Linux experience that can visit you and help out if you get into a jam.

One last thing: also Google and read about installing Linux on SSD's. I've never owned a SSD, but I have read some stuff that there may be certain things for you to consider... such as NOT using a swap partition on Linux (which commonly is used with regular drives). There may be other details as well, but the idea is that there are things you can do to will help keep your SSD healthy in a Linux system.

Good luck!

Members online