• I prefer AppImage

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don't currently use snaps, but I may in the future

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

LorenDB

Reaction score
Credits
I had an eye-opening experience the other day which has served to increase my dislike of Ubuntu's snaps.

[Part 1]
Snaps have pros, but they have more cons. I can attest to the fact that they look ugly, since they don't match your system theme. They also take up lots of disk space, and some people have reported slower start times for apps when they use snaps.

[Part 2]
As an amateur programmer, I have been contributing to the nheko app (it's a client for the Matrix messaging protocol). Building nheko can take a lot of time, CPU, and RAM, and when a build uses lots of CPU and RAM, your system tends to lock up to a certain extent. I experimented with limiting the rate at which the program built, but I still experienced lockups. Then one day, I opened htop in a different tty display and found something completely unexpected: The snap daemon (snapd) was using about 35% of my CPU. I completely removed snap, and as far as I can recall, I haven't had a lockup since.

Anybody else have reasons to hate dislike snaps?

Last edited:

Hate is a strong word. They have their benefits, but I do not use them.

I find it infuriating to see the many projects that are going snap-app only, unless you want to build it yourself.

On AskUbuntu/unix.stackexchange, I suggest the traditional ways as often as I can. I don't hate them, but they cause all sorts of problems, often due to things like permissions issues.

Fortunately, I still have a choice. I can strip out snap and associated processes with relative ease.

So, no... I don't hate snaps, nor do I dislike Canonical.

Oh, there are some folks that complain that the snap app store server isn't open source.

I've played around with Snaps and I didn't find them to be terrible just slow to open although worked once opened and loaded.

They're new and still full of bugs.
Perhaps the developers will get them working as users give them a try and problems are reported.

If you don't like Snaps then simply remove the default Snaps and don't install any of them.

I believe Ubuntu 20.04 is the only Linux distro to install Snaps OOTB.

I'll watch and see how Snaps develop and perhaps give them another chance.

Users didn't care for Systemd when it was first implemented and now it's used and don't hear a lot of noise about Systemd anymore.

I believe Snaps will be the same.

How can any user complain when Linux is free to install and use on as many computers as you the user choose to do.

No one forces anyone to install and use Windows 10 and no one is forcing you to install and use Linux.

If you don't like the direction Canonical / Linux is moving then don't use it.

There are a lot of Snap free and Systemd free Linux distros available to use.

I didn't vote because my choice to pick isn't listed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online