Someone Bought Me A New Asus!..... :3

B

blackneos940

It's one of those Laptops where you can flip it to make it like a Tablet..... Linux Mint, which I've installed on it, even has a Touch Keyboard I can install..... :3 Everything is working GREAT, INCLUDING the Touch Screen, except..... It can detect USBs, but not my External WD My Passport HDD, and the Touchpad, possibly an Elantech or Focaltech, doesn't work, like at ALL..... :( When I run:
Code:
dmesg | tail -n 20
[ 1943.438469] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0781, idProduct=5575
[ 1943.438471] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 1943.438473] usb 1-1: Product: Cruzer Glide
[ 1943.438474] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: SanDisk
[ 1943.438475] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 20043512330C6E22FA90
[ 1943.503247] usb-storage 1-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 1943.503308] scsi host2: usb-storage 1-1:1.0
[ 1943.503362] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 1943.519039] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
[ 1944.503261] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Glide     1.27 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 1944.503556] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[ 1944.505121] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 31266816 512-byte logical blocks: (16.0 GB/14.9 GiB)
[ 1944.506909] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 1944.506912] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[ 1944.507143] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 1944.517112]  sdb: sdb1
[ 1944.520842] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 1944.786154] FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[ 1952.878298] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 2827.076818] wlan0: Limiting TX power to 8 dBm as advertised by b4:a4:e3:64:c2:d2

It shows the External HDD as connecting, and then I had to DISCONNECT it, as it wasn't showing up in the File Manager..... :( (But it's not corrupted, though.... :)) I dunno....... :( I REALLY want to make this thing work..... :( It was a Gift, and I would HATE to take it back..... :) (And I would hate even MORE to have to use Windows :D)..... So anyway.... There isn't TOO much that's wrong..... :) I also have an Asus X205TA, so it's gone MUCH better with THIS Asus Q503UA..... :3 Also, I tried nomodeset, Atanere-Senpai.... :D But no success.... :( Thanks for any help, guys!!..... :)

New toys... cool!

I'm guessing from the dmesg output that the WD drive is near the end as "FAT-fs (sdb1)". The "data may be corrupt" part might make me nervous. Did you run fsck on the drive? Does the drive work okay in Windows or some other computer and/or operating system?

Google brings up some possible solutions to the touchpad problem. Did you see this one?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=179238

New toys... cool!

I'm guessing from the dmesg output that the WD drive is near the end as "FAT-fs (sdb1)". The "data may be corrupt" part might make me nervous. Did you run fsck on the drive? Does the drive work okay in Windows or some other computer and/or operating system?

Google brings up some possible solutions to the touchpad problem. Did you see this one?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=179238
Hello, good sir!..... :3 I know..... It's so.... COOL!.... :D Except when I did an "apt-get purge" again..... Seriously, is that string of Commands as risky as "rm -r /"....?? :( Anywho..... :3 It's all set up again, but..... Yeah, I'll have to look into the Touchpad first, as that seems more do-able right now..... ;) Also, the External HDD works FINE...... :) So alls good on that front..... :3 But, what do you mean by "near the end".....? Anywho, I'll run "fsck" again, and see what the fsck is wrong, if anything, with that Hard Disk..... :3 Also, I looked Online, but to no avail..... :( Thanks for the time you put into getting that link for me though, good sir!!..... ^^ Time for Tacos!!!..... ^^

~Namaste!!..... :3

... as risky as "rm -r /"....??

Maybe not as risky as you think. I don't believe most modern distributions will let you do this (immediately). I just tried from a root terminal in Debian 8.2, and it came back first with a warning: "rm is dangerous to operate recursively on /. Use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe." OK, this is a fresh install, and I'm game! So I ran "rm -rf --no-preserve-root /" (the extra "f" is to force, without prompts). Well, that was fun! And it did in fact kill my Debian install. No problem though... will put it back on tomorrow. So you can see that command is not quite as dangerous as it used to be. But you never know unless you try! And you still never know, from one distro to another!

... But, what do you mean by "near the end".....?

"Near the end" of your dmesg output... the 3rd line from the bottom, where it references sdb1, and says "Volume not properly unmounted." I guess that is your external WD hard drive (sda is probably your internal hard drive). Nothing in the dmesg output seems related to the touch pad, but it does look like you have a flash drive also plugged in at the same time. You might try the hard drive by itself, with no other USB connections.

Maybe not as risky as you think. I don't believe most modern distributions will let you do this (immediately). I just tried from a root terminal in Debian 8.2, and it came back first with a warning: "rm is dangerous to operate recursively on /. Use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe." OK, this is a fresh install, and I'm game! So I ran "rm -rf --no-preserve-root /" (the extra "f" is to force, without prompts). Well, that was fun! And it did in fact kill my Debian install. No problem though... will put it back on tomorrow. So you can see that command is not quite as dangerous as it used to be. But you never know unless you try! And you still never know, from one distro to another!

"Near the end" of your dmesg output... the 3rd line from the bottom, where it references sdb1, and says "Volume not properly unmounted." I guess that is your external WD hard drive (sda is probably your internal hard drive). Nothing in the dmesg output seems related to the touch pad, but it does look like you have a flash drive also plugged in at the same time. You might try the hard drive by itself, with no other USB connections.

Wow, you're brave..... :D Also, I didn't know that they changed what would happen when you entered that Command.... :) And, it STILL doesn't give the same warning on different Distros.....? Wow..... :| What a minefield..... :\ Anywho..... :) How did the reinstall go.....? :) Also, I thought you meant that the External HDD was somewhere near the end of some space or something, but it turns out you meant that it was where I saw it..... :D Ok!.... ^^ But the only problem IS, is how do I try it without the USB Connection.....? :( Also, guess what.....? :3 I fixed the Touchpad!!!..... ^^ All I had to do was update to the 4.x Kernel, and it was fine!..... :D Well, that's ONE problem down..... :D Also, here's what the Touchpad is actually CALLED..... :)

ELAN0100:00 04F3:0401

So I think it WAS Elantech, AFTER all..... :D Everyone!..... :) Don't forget to update your Kernels!!..... :3

ooh new stuff is always fun.
I know, right.....? :3 I just can't believe that a Kernel Update was all I needed....... XD Now to solve the External HDD not being Mounted....... :\ I thought Updating the Kernel was enough for that, but..... :\

Wow, you're brave..... :D Also, I didn't know that they changed what would happen when you entered that Command.... :) And, it STILL doesn't give the same warning on different Distros.....? Wow..... :| What a minefield..... :\ Anywho..... :) How did the reinstall go.....? :) Also, I thought you meant that the External HDD was somewhere near the end of some space or something, but it turns out you meant that it was where I saw it..... :D Ok!.... ^^ But the only problem IS, is how do I try it without the USB Connection.....? :( Also, guess what.....? :3 I fixed the Touchpad!!!..... ^^ All I had to do was update to the 4.x Kernel, and it was fine!..... :D Well, that's ONE problem down..... :D Also, here's what the Touchpad is actually CALLED..... :)

ELAN0100:00 04F3:0401

So I think it WAS Elantech, AFTER all..... :D Everyone!..... :) Don't forget to update your Kernels!!..... :3

No, I'm not brave... a little crazy, maybe! :D I ended up not reinstalling Debian. Instead I loaded openSUSE Leap, which I'm finding to be an outstanding distro for my HP laptop. I'm very impressed that openSUSE will install and work properly even with Secure Boot turned on, and everything works as expected... no freezing on shutdown, no hunting for WiFi drivers, no garbled sound issues. They have figured out UEFI better than anyone else, in my experience.

Congrats on gettng the touchpad working! Now for that hard drive... that's a confusing one. I didn't say to try the new hard drive without USB... I was trying to say to not have any other USB devices plugged in when you do try the new hard drive. Your dmesg showed you had a flash drive (Cruzer Glide) plugged in too.... so I thought try the hard drive alone, as the only thing connected via USB.

I have had problems with flash drives sometimes when putting a Linux ISO on them... and it corrupts the MBR/GPT tables. Is your new hard drive just a storage drive? Or have you tried to make it a bootable Linux drive too? I'm just kind of guessing in the dark that this might be a possibility. And maybe the problem isn't the drive, maybe the problem is with Mint, if other Linux distros can access the drive okay. (But I've never had a problem like that with Mint before, and I've used it a long time.)

No, I'm not brave... a little crazy, maybe! :D I ended up not reinstalling Debian. Instead I loaded openSUSE Leap, which I'm finding to be an outstanding distro for my HP laptop. I'm very impressed that openSUSE will install and work properly even with Secure Boot turned on, and everything works as expected... no freezing on shutdown, no hunting for WiFi drivers, no garbled sound issues. They have figured out UEFI better than anyone else, in my experience.

Congrats on gettng the touchpad working! Now for that hard drive... that's a confusing one. I didn't say to try the new hard drive without USB... I was trying to say to not have any other USB devices plugged in when you do try the new hard drive. Your dmesg showed you had a flash drive (Cruzer Glide) plugged in too.... so I thought try the hard drive alone, as the only thing connected via USB.

I have had problems with flash drives sometimes when putting a Linux ISO on them... and it corrupts the MBR/GPT tables. Is your new hard drive just a storage drive? Or have you tried to make it a bootable Linux drive too? I'm just kind of guessing in the dark that this might be a possibility. And maybe the problem isn't the drive, maybe the problem is with Mint, if other Linux distros can access the drive okay. (But I've never had a problem like that with Mint before, and I've used it a long time.)

Well, as my MOM once said, "I'm not crazy! I'm just comfortably insane!" :3 Anywho..... :) Ah, OpenSUSE is that GOOD, eh.....? :) Maybe I'll give it a whirl one day soon..... :3 But does it support the Cinnamon Desktop Environment.....? :\ I LOVE this DE on my ASUS with teh Backlit Keyboard..... :3 Also, as for the External HDD..... :\ I usually only try to plug it in by itself to this Lappy...... :) But, though dmesg WILL show it as connecting, it doesn't actually appear to be Mounted.... :\ Also, it's got "SS", with a Lightning Bolt on it's Plug, on BOTH ends..... :) Yet, so does this LAPTOP..... Weird.... :( Also, I just use it for storage, like for Backups, storing ISO Files, etc..... :) Also, I've got 777.0GiB of Free Space on my HDD in my ASUS right now, as I type this..... :3 But the Touchpad is a bit big, though..... I keep moving the Cursor by just TOUCHING it with my Palm, by ACCIDENT..... :D Anywho... :3 It seems like this Laptop's USB Port(s) SHOULD recognize the External HDD..... :\ Hold on, let me link you to a Pic of the thing and it's USB Cord, so you can get a better idea, ok.....? :3 Here!..... ^^ Also, here!..... ^^ Mine's the SILVER one!!..... :3 P.S., see the "SS" on the USB Wire.....? Now, I don't know what it STANDS for, but I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T stand for the SS..... :D The Laptop has that too on the USB Ports, as I said, but for some reason, it doesn't show the HDD in the GUI, nor does it seem to be able to MOUNT it..... :\

Last edited:
"SS" is "super speed".... meaning USB 3.0. Your matching port on the laptop will give you much faster transfer speeds. Well, it should, anyway.

There is sometimes a mouse setting that will disable a touchpad while you are typing. Or, I just looked on openSUSE and it lets me disable "tapping"... so that will stop the mouse pointer (and cursor, I think) from jumping around all over the place and will require using the actual left- and right-click buttons. The touchpad can be disable entirely too, if you want to use an external mouse.

I just installed Cinnamon on openSUSE Leap. There is a one-click install on the web which seemed to work fairly well, but there were some issues. Not everything installed, but I didn't take notes. The WiFi sees my home network, but it doesn't connect... no errors, nothing, just doesn't connect. Maybe related to stuff not installing with Cinnamon.

The LXDE that installed initially works great though. It's super fast. Other DE's are available too... all the usual players. I have mostly used MATE and LXDE. If Cinnamon is your favorite, it probably runs best on Mint since they are the developers and maintainers.

Working a lot of overtime, so I am on-again, off-again. Hope you have a Happy New Year!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts