Strange audio problem

Claus2024

Reaction score
Credits
I have a strange audio problem after installing Ubuntu 24.04 on VMware Workstation Pro.

After the installation, I can hear that the sound works, but when I go to "Settings" and then click on "Sound," the sound disappears and I also see an error message saying something about Ubuntu not being able to detect the sound card, and I see an error code, ID 3 I think it said.

It's very strange that the sound only disappears when I go into the sound settings and look.

I see that under "Output device" it shows the wrong sound card (Creative Labs, which I don't have in my computer).

I have also tried installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox and the sound works fine there, so it seems to be something in VMware Workstation Pro? I have the latest Open-VM-Tools installed.

Hardware information:

Asus PN53 (Mini PC), Two NVME disks 2 TB, 32 GB RAM, Ryzen 7 6800H with integrated graphics (AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition), RealTek Audio HD (integrated)

Last edited:
It didn´t help. Ubuntu disable my sound card of a unknown reason soon I going into settings/sound. It must be a something about a bug, a crazy bug! I give up now. Thanks for your trying to help me.

I have never used VMware Workstation Pro so I wouldn't know but I came across a post somewhere where someone was running VMware Workstation Pro with sudo and not launching it as normal user. How are you launching VMware Workstation Pro? Is your your host system, so the device where you open VMware Workstation Pro Windows or Linux?

Members online