Switching OS and HDD to SDD

m20150502

Reaction score
Credits
Hi

I used to have Linux Mint before on another laptop, but currently, I am running Windows 10. The HDD has become so slow and I found an SDD for a good price, so I might as well change to Linux again. However, I don't know if it's possible to do both transitions at once. Could someone tell me if this is legal?

Also, although I liked Linux Mint, a change will be good. I've been thinking about Pop OS or Manjaro. Elementary OS or MX Linux look interesting too; but if I'm not mistaken, the latter is Debian-based and I think I've heard that Ubuntu has a bigger amount of repositories or something like that. If someone could correct me or tell me about the advantages of any system they like, I would appreciate it

Thank you

However, I don't know if it's possible to do both transitions at once.
I'm not sure if I understand what transitions you are referring to.
Switching out the HDD for a SDD?
Switching over to Linux?

Yes, it is possible to do both at once.

Could someone tell me if this is legal?

Yes, it is entirely "legal".

Be careful if you are going to transfer your Windows 10 over to the SDD. I ran into problems making a backup disk image after doing just that (Windows7) with a Samsung SDD. Their 'Easy Transfer' software filled up my Windows Reserved partition with file descriptors and then the disk imaging software would not work.

but if I'm not mistaken, the latter is Debian-based and I think I've heard that Ubuntu has a bigger amount of repositories or something like that. If someone could correct me or tell me about the advantages of any system they like, I would appreciate it
Debian does have a vast software repository and any Debian based distro will likely have access to it.
That being said, Manjaro which is based on Arch has access to the Arch repositories and the Arch User Repository which opens the door to a wealth of software.

I really could not say if one is 'better' than the other. They each have their own virtues and foibles.
Over the years I have installed and tried out many, many Linux distros in an effort to find which I may like better. I have found some I do not care for and some I like very much.

I like Linux Mint and use it for my 'daily driver'. I also like Manjaro. I do not care for PoP OS! nor Ubuntu. Much of that dislike stems from my dislike of Gnome3 or Gnome shell.
Currently I have 6 or 7 Linux distros installed for 'testing' purposes and have found that my opinion has not changed much. Linux Mint with the Mate desktop is quite good and I also find Q4OS quite interesting.

As the writer said, Don't overdo this setup. Distros are doing a better job at recognizing and accommodating SSD special requirements. As an example, for several years now I know that Kubuntu, and by extension all *buntus install a trim run even if an SSD is not present. It doesn't hurt spinners, but it does provide a routine, and reasonable, trim cycle from the time you install. And yes, you can adjust the cycle if you want.

I had a brief moment of panic a week ago, when I thought my SSDs were failing. It ended up not being the case, but do examine your SSDs routinely. Even GsmartControl provides good insight into SSDs. If you have a backup plan, just run some utility (whatever you choose) around the same time to check the SSDs "health".

Don't worry over your SSDs, they will fail some day, just like any drive, but do observe and get to know how your system runs, then when something changes in your system, you won't get caught flat-footed, and you'll be prepared to repair, rebuild, or replace.

Members online

Latest posts