Systemd for scheduled program unavailable ?

Vulture

Reaction score
Credits
My administrator is running; (Red Hat 4.8. 5-44) (GCC) I can SSH into the server but what I'm looking for which is not located in the /etc directory is systemd as I need to setup a schedule for a program which I want to have running basically 24/7 with no down time; unless the administrator messes something up which I have no control over. I was hoping someone could help as to why I do not see a systemd directory which is typically located in the /etc/systemd path ?

My administrator is running; (Red Hat 4.8. 5-44) (GCC)
That sounds like just the gcc version and not the RHEL version.
Code:
~]$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-44)
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.9 (Maipo)
Can you share the output of the second "cat /etc/redhat-release"? I'm assuming from your post you want to schedule a job using systemd timers and not using cron? You can also scheldule a systemd-timer as normal user?

That sounds like just the gcc version and not the RHEL version.
Code:
~]$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-44)
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.9 (Maipo)
Can you share the output of the second "cat /etc/redhat-release"? I'm assuming from your post you want to schedule a job using systemd timers and not using cron? You can also scheldule a systemd-timer as normal user?
I get no output for cat /etc/redhat-release instead; no such file or directory. And yes, I want to schedule a Job using systemd timers and not using cron.

I didn't understand what you mean by using systemd-timer as a normal user ?

I get no output for cat /etc/redhat-release instead; no such file or directory. And yes, I want to schedule a Job using systemd timers and not using cron.

I didn't understand what you mean by using systemd-timer as a normal user ?
Why are you looking for the systemd directory under /etc schedule a job? I'm just saying if you want to create a scheduled job using a systemd timer you can do that as ordinary user as well, depending on what the job is needing to do? Why not just create a cronjob?
What's the output of the following?
Code:
cat /etc/os-release

Why are you looking for the systemd directory under /etc schedule a job? I'm just saying if you want to create a scheduled job using a systemd timer you can do that as ordinary user as well, depending on what the job is needing to do? Why not just create a cronjob?
What's the output of the following?
Code:
cat /etc/os-release
I have the instructions for using systemd for the application which I want to use it for. I was just following the instructions for the application which mentioned that systemd to be located within /etc.

Where else can systemd be located, if it's not located in /etc ?

I have the instructions for using systemd for the application which I want to use it for. I was just following the instructions for the application which mentioned that systemd to be located within /etc.

Where else can systemd be located, if it's not located in /etc ?
Post the output of what I previously mentioned.
Code:
cat /etc/os-release
Not all jobs have to run as root, so what does the job have to do that you are wanting to run?

Post the output of what I previously mentioned.
Code:
cat /etc/os-release
Not all jobs have to run as root, so what does the job have to do that you are wanting to run?
If you want me to run cat /etc/os-release as a command the output is; no such file or directory ?
This application from my knowledge has to run as root as I always have to be in the ~ directory.

If you want me to run cat /etc/os-release as a command the output is; no such file or directory ?
This application from my knowledge has to run as root as I always have to be in the ~ directory.
Do you have any idea which distribution you are running on that system because normally that would show what distribution is being used, so it doesn't seem like you are using a mainstream distribution. Otherwise you can install "neofetch", run it and see what it says you are running.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea which distribution you are running on that system because normally that would should what distribution is being used, so it doesn't seem like you are using a mainstream distribution. Otherwise you can install "neofetch", run it and see what it says you are running.
The command cat /proc/version does work and the distribution is; Linux version 3.10.0-1160.88.1.el7.x86_64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.
5-44) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Tue Mar 7 15:41:52 UTC 2023

The command cat /proc/version does work and the distribution is; Linux version 3.10.0-1160.88.1.el7.x86_64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.
5-44) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Tue Mar 7 15:41:52 UTC 2023
That looks like CentOS7/RHEL7, which comes with systemd. Which is odd because any RHEL or CentOS system should have the file /etc/redhat-release and /etc/os-release. Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
which systemctl

That looks like CentOS7/RHEL7, which comes with systemd. Which is odd because any RHEL or CentOS system should have the file /etc/redhat-release and /etc/os-release. Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
which systemctl
The output is;
Code:
/bin/systemctl
from running the command
Code:
which systemctl

The output is;
Code:
/bin/systemctl
from running the command
Code:
which systemctl
That shows that systemd is used on the system. What's the output of this?
Code:
ls /etc/systemd

The output of;
Code:
ls /etc/systemd
is
Code:
ls: cannot access /etc/systemd: No such file or directory

Are you using RHEL7 in a container or something like that, because that is not a normal RHEL7 installation?

Members online