This is the result of many, many hours of work...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This is not an easy accomplishment, especially when you have a bloated site based on WordPress and *dozens* of plugins.

Selection_062.png

This is the same test for Linux.org:

Selection_063.png

Google is now placing a lot of emphasis on page speed, how quickly it loads and the shifts in content during the loading process. I'm not sure if that's going to impact Google's ranking for this site.

I was also surprised that Linux.org is as slow as it is (according to the test). It doesn't feel slow to me.

The tests are different colors because one is logged in (the first one) and the second is done in an incognito tab so it's not using the 'dark mode' theme that logged in users can have.

These are the kinds of things you gotta pay attention to these days. It's a ton of work and there's always more to learn (which means I enjoy it).

If you want your emails to get through the spam filters and get delivered, that's another task in and of itself.

Selection_064.png

It has reached the point where having a website just requires so much extra work and so much additional knowledge. Gone are the days of typing it up in a text editor, uploading it, and having it work. Heck, these days you're not getting anywhere without a security certification. If your site isn't https:// then you're getting nothing and liking it. I'm in the camp that not all sites actually need to be encrypted, but it has become the standard and you'd better comply if you want to get any traffic.

It's almost as though you need to be a professional these days. For them, I'm sure this is pretty easy stuff. For the rest of us, that's hours of work and learning things we don't really need to know.

Ah well...

I'm just venting.

If I weren't trying to retire, I'd consider freelancing this sort of stuff. Alas, I'm trying to have more time to myself. Hmm... It probably pays fairly well, if you have the customers.

Members online