This time it's official. Mint 22 Beta Released

Linux Mint 22​

Linux Mint 22 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2029. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop experience more comfortable.

Remember folks....it is a beta edition for now......NOT the final release.......that will come in a few weeks after the Beta has been tested by the community

System requirements:

• 2GB RAM (4GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 20GB of disk space (100GB recommended).
  • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
Upgrade instructions:

• This BETA release might contain critical bugs, please only use it for testing purposes and to help the Linux Mint team fix issues prior to the stable release.
  • Upgrade instructions will be published after the stable release of Linux Mint 22.
  • It will be possible to upgrade from this BETA to the stable release.
  • It will also be possible to upgrade from Linux Mint 21.3.
Bug reports:

• Bugs in this release should be reported on Github at https://github.com/linuxmint/mint22-beta.
  • Create one issue per bug.
  • As described in the Linux Mint Troubleshooting Guide, do not report or create issues for observations.
  • Be as accurate as possible and include any information that might help developers reproduce the issue or understand the cause of the issue:
    • Bugs we can reproduce, or which cause we understand are usually fixed very easily.
    • It is important to mention whether a bug happens “always”, or “sometimes”, and what triggers it.
    • If a bug happens but didn’t happen before, or doesn’t happen in another distribution, or doesn’t happen in a different environment, please mention it and try to pinpoint the differences at play.
    • If we can’t reproduce a particular bug and we don’t understand its cause, it’s unlikely we’ll be able to fix it.
  • The BETA phase is literally a bug squashing rush, where the team is extremely busy and developers try to fix as many bugs as fast as possible.
  • There usually are a huge number of reports and very little time to answer everyone or explain why a particular report is not considered a bug, or won’t get fixed. Don’t let this frustrate you, whether it’s acknowledged or not, we appreciate everyone’s help.

Installed LM22 to a spare ssd.

easy......done in under 15 minutes.

Looking at system :
System:
Kernel: 6.8.0-36-generic arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.0 clocksource: tsc
Desktop: Cinnamon v: 6.2.3 tk: GTK v: 3.24.41 wm: Muffin v: 6.2.0 vt: 7 dm: LightDM v: 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 22 Wilma base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
wtf

On Thunderbird, I received this:

1719868957941.png

This is expected.
""Thunderbird continues to be available in Linux Mint 22 as a native .deb package. Following the decision by Ubuntu to move it to Snap, Linux Mint is now responsible for packaging it.""
I downloaded T'bird via the software manager........I may have been a bit quick off the mark.....Mint may not have had time to package it properly yet.
Time will tell......for the time being I will use the software manager version.

more later

Installed LM22 to a spare ssd.

easy......done in under 15 minutes.

Looking at system :
System:
Kernel: 6.8.0-36-generic arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.0 clocksource: tsc
Desktop: Cinnamon v: 6.2.3 tk: GTK v: 3.24.41 wm: Muffin v: 6.2.0 vt: 7 dm: LightDM v: 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 22 Wilma base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
wtf

On Thunderbird, I received this:

View attachment 20855
This is expected.
""Thunderbird continues to be available in Linux Mint 22 as a native .deb package. Following the decision by Ubuntu to move it to Snap, Linux Mint is now responsible for packaging it.""
I downloaded T'bird via the software manager........I may have been a bit quick off the mark.....Mint may not have had time to package it properly yet.
Time will tell......for the time being I will use the software manager version.

more later
and me. we shall wait

...and dare I say it?

The SHA26sums for the three DE versions match those of the two Dutch sites' offerings, so they are likely valid releases, albeit published a day or two earlier than the official sources.

Which begs the question - Why is it reporting with an Ubuntu base of Jammy instead of Noble?

I think I will wait two weeks until the final and then see.

Wiz

Brian @Condobloke has just let me know an address for the Bugs list for Wilma, it is here, and if you fast-tack to the bottom of the 2nd page, the misreporting of Ubuntu base is included.

New users should not be daunted that the list is of a certain length - IMO one of the strengths of the Linux Community is that people pull together to find, report and (others can) resolve bugs so that the end product is good.

Thanks Brian :)

Let me see if i have this right. Even though it says it is 22.04 it is actually the newer 24.04 on LM 22 beta.

We don't know that yet, Noel, although the inclusion of the Matrix app as mentioned elsewhere would lead to thinking so.

Nite.

I spoke in haste, let me rephrase.

Even though it says it is 22.04 it is actually the newer 24.04 on LM 22 beta.

Yes, it would appear so, but it is a Bug that it reports incorrectly. The bugs should be fixed in the next two weeks or so before the final release, which I will wait for.

Nite ;)

I spoke in haste, let me rephrase.

Yes, it would appear so, but it is a Bug that it reports incorrectly. The bugs should be fixed in the next two weeks or so before the final release, which I will wait for.

Nite ;)
Thanks for that. Most helpful. The plot thickens. I too shall wait.

I hope upgrading to version 22 is as easy as it was for me to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.3. I will admit I looked on YouTube on how to do it. The procedure was easy but it did take a long time for the upgrade to finish. For free however I can not complain. Once again IMO Linux is the way to go.
Always,
Wildman

I hope upgrading to version 22 is as easy as it was for me to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.3. I will admit I looked on YouTube on how to do it. The procedure was easy but it did take a long time for the upgrade to finish. For free however I can not complain. Once again IMO Linux is the way to go.
Always,
Wildman
Personally I usually do a fresh install when going to new major version. Like 21 to 22.
Backup important data first. It may be possible to do the upgrade, but it will leave some residue of the 21 version.

Good luck with which ever method you choose.

I hope upgrading to version 22 is as easy as it was for me to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.3.
Upgrade instructions:

• This BETA release might contain critical bugs, please only use it for testing purposes and to help the Linux Mint team fix issues prior to the stable release.
  • Upgrade instructions will be published after the stable release of Linux Mint 22.
  • It will be possible to upgrade from this BETA to the stable release.
  • It will also be possible to upgrade from Linux Mint 21.3.

Just a note to the Mint fans to attach to Brian's #13 above - whilst the false reporting of the Ubuntu base has been resolved by Clem's team ...they will not reissue a new .iso for each bug remedied, this will all be addressed with the final release in a couple of weeks time.

To give you an idea of how their workflow is going, at time of writing there were 64 bugs identified, with 44 still open and 20 closed.

You can see the open ones at https://github.com/linuxmint/mint22-beta/issues?page=1&q=is:issue+is:open

and the ones closed at

https://github.com/linuxmint/mint22-beta/issues?q=is:issue+is:closed

Cheers

Wiz

Staff online