KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Happy Birthday to Linus :)

Darned right.

I sometimes wonder what'd have happened had he nor written the kernel. I suspect we'd be using a BSD, or maybe something with MINIX.

MCZwaWQ9QXBp

Maybe the GNU HURD would have gotten more attention…

Maybe... Last I knew, it wasn't really finished. There was one, but it still relied on the Linux kernel. I have no idea how much progress they've since made.

So, yeah, I could see it. Kinda... The FSF is pretty set in their ways, so I'm not sure how much developer time would have been spent on it.

May he celebrate another 52 birthdays :)

Wiz

Maybe... Last I knew, it wasn't really finished. There was one, but it still relied on the Linux kernel. I have no idea how much progress they've since made.

So, yeah, I could see it. Kinda... The FSF is pretty set in their ways, so I'm not sure how much developer time would have been spent on it.
I was thinking in something like "... more attention during its development, so that it would have been finished and became usable".

Today it's just an anecdote... a PoC of a microkernel architecture.

May he celebrate another 52 birthdays

Cheers!

"... more attention during its development, so that it would have been finished and became usable".

Even today, I'd like to see it finished with its own kernel. I'm a 'the more the merrier' kinda guy when it comes to OSes. I think I tried to install HURD as a VM and it failed for some reason or another.

Members online