Today's article is not useful if you just use wifi...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
If you're using a NIC and want to know the speed your NIC is connected at (not the same as your ISP's bandwidth) then you can do that pretty easily.

I probably could have called that one a short article but I didn't. It's not all that complicated.

Like so ...

brian@brian-desktop:~$ sudo ethtool enp0s31f6
[sudo] password for brian:
Settings for enp0s31f6:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Auto-negotiation: on
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
MDI-X: on (auto)
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes
brian@brian-desktop:~$

Yup. Your NIC is capable (and connected at) 1000 Mb/sec.

That in no way suggests what your speed is online, only the speed of your NIC.

Hi,

as i know ip link show, shows the speed of the nic after qlen. In my case 1000 Mb/sec.
Code:
~]$ ip link show enp0s3
2: enp0s3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 08:00:27:42:db:2a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Slight 'red-herring' here; not exactly on-topic, but related.

Going back some years, we used to be on a "capped" connection - only so many GB per month (I think it was around 10 GB). So; I had to watch bandwidth usage like a hawk!

Long ago, I found this bandwidth monitoring package from a guy here in the UK, name of Rob Dawson, based in Manchester:-

BitMeterOS

(The name is a touch misleading. It's NOT an "OS", but that's the name he gave it for some reason.)

Although it's not been maintained for some years, it's absolutely rock-solid & stable in operation.......and I've never heard of anybody being "infected" due to using it. I certainly haven't.

It comes as a small .deb package for Linux - either 32- OR 64-bit. All you do is to install it, then access it via a tab in your browser.......which, let's face it, is where you'll want to watch what's getting consumed.:-

.....then switch between the various 'tabs'. Don't try using https, 'cos it won't work (although it runs in the browser, it doesn't go 'online'.....it simply measures bandwidth consumption).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Downloads are here:-

I recommend v0.7.6; it's rock-solid. v0.8.0 is newer, with several experimental features - like being able to calculate usage between multiple machines across a LAN - but Rob (who got in touch with us on the Puppy Forum at the time I introduced it there) admitted that he'd had issues with the newer version of the SQL database in use.......and since he'd moved onto other, larger projects, he wasn't intending to try and 'fix' it. He himself recommended using the older v0.7.6, since it worked 100% reliably.

The site has a "demo" page, where you can watch the various functions working:-

I'll probably get castigated for even mentioning an 'out-of-date' package, but it was never built, per se, for any specific distro release (I have it working fine under 'buntu-based Puppy builds from 'Trusty' all the way up to and including 'Focal'.....the final pre-usrmerge release). And it IS useful; I thought some of you guys might be interested in it.

(Perhaps not AS useful as it once was; I don't know about American ISPs, but European ones have all been offering "unlimited" packages for quite a few years now...)

Me, I just leave it installed out of habit. It lets me see just how much bandwidth I get through when on a NetFlix 'binge'..!

@KGIII :-

Sorry for dragging your thread 'off-topic'!

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

Members online