Using 'pip install' on Ubuntu 23.04 might look like a bug, but it isn't.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Rather than write my own article, I'll just point out that using pip install will fail on Ubuntu 23.04. This is not a bug. This is intentional. It's a security concern.

Additionally, this came down from Debian. Ubuntu also chose to go this route. So, blaming Ubuntu (and not understanding the problems and solutions) has created some drama (elsewhere on the 'net). People will just invent reasons to be angry, and so many are confidently wrong.

I'm not going to do my own article. I don't get many comments and I surely don't want to deal with these potential comments. I don't even wanna rank in Google for any of the search terms! (Also, all sorts of people don't know about pip install to begin with. I've used it for YouTube-DL and other assorted bits and bobs, but that's it.)

So, I like to think the folks here are less-likely to go on a rampage and we're more likely to understand what's going on. In this case, the above-linked article is pretty good at explaining it. I couldn't do any better, as my usage has been limited and I have just superficial knowledge.

Members online