Ventoy only installing in MBR mode - EDIT: Solved LMAO

Trynna3

Reaction score
Credits
Hello people,
I am trying to back up my existing Win11 with all the changes I have made since new and make it bootable. I have a 32GB usb stick and I formatted it to exFAT (can handle files larger than 4GB and doesn't wear off as fast as NTFS). I downloaded the latest version of Ventoy for Windows from SourceForge, but it keeps installing in MBR mode. I even reformatted the USB via diskpart commands into GPT system, but for the second time Ventoy again installed itself in MBR mode again, not giving me a choice. I am no computer geek, learning on the go, now aware that GPT is more compatible and exFAT more resilient and accommodating. I would like to use that Win11 in a VM in Linux after I swap the hard drives. Any advice what I need to do to? Try a different software? Rufus is the most mentioned on the web, but Ventoy is more flexible in some aspects.

And then there will be a clonezilla, and not sure whether I should use the stable version based on Debian, or the alternative stable based on Ubuntu which was also evaluated as being more modern. I will probably install Mint distro based on Debian mentioned elsewhere recently.

Last edited:

Just that Clonezilla advice would be welcomed.

Is there any difference in Ventoy's function between MBR and GPT ?

No. For Ventoy there is no difference between MBR and GPT.

I have no idea about anything windoze as I haven't used it for a long time...I use the Linux version of Ventoy which works just fine.
1718753386502.gif

I have a 32GB usb stick and I formatted it to exFAT... I downloaded the latest version of Ventoy... ...even reformatted the USB via diskpart commands into GPT system...

IMO it might please you to know that 'YUMi-exFAT' is actually built around 'Ventoy', though only a few select .ISOs will manage taking full benefit from it - SO FAR. Anyway, if you happen to like either LMDE 6 Faye, MX 23.3, Sparky 8 or Manjaro 6.9.3 then that may be a lucky pick to consider!

Good day, have fun!! :cool:

IMO it might please you to know that 'YUMi-exFAT' is actually built around 'Ventoy', though only a few select .ISOs will manage taking full benefit from it - SO FAR. Anyway, if you happen to like either LMDE 6 Faye, MX 23.3, Sparky 8 or Manjaro 6.9.3 then that may be a lucky pick to consider!

Good day, have fun!! :cool:
LMDE 6 is exactly the one I seem to have narrowed down. Is Faye just another layer or part of its name?

Hello,

Although i downloaded these two .ISOs on March 28 both actually refer to Debian "BookWorm" (2023-Sep-22) when i mount them:

'lmde-6-cinnamon-64bit.iso'​
'lmde-6-cinnamon-32bit.iso'​

On a side-note, the manufacturer happens to list your specific model as one featured with a 4-cores processor - which i'd have judged adequate for my own purpose as well. But in case this might apply to others not so lucky, lets also mention the reason i got them both formerly resulted from an anticipated need to "patch" the 64 bits version with this additional file copied from its 32 bits counterpart:

/EFI/boot/grubia32.efi​

To me it was a potentially useful resource dealing with some 32/64 (Atom CherryTrail) hybrid that relyied on AMi's 'aptio' uEFI/GPT system to search for 'bootia32.efi', euh... At least i vaguely recall it seemed desirable when i tried Mint and perhaps MX too, while my transition to a YUMi-exFAT USB drive made it a concern of the past (not to mention i bricked the old devil anyway, hence my recent purchase)...

What is "Faye" all about then? Well, according to 'HardInfo' i find this non-ambiguous hint and zero mention of "BookWorm" exactly:

Operating System: LMDE 6 (faye)​

If i must tag it i'll risk the hypothetical proposal that we've got a BookWorm retro-compatible revision justifying some new name, in this case "Faye". Consequently, your referal to « another layer » suits me fine; for example i noticed (a couple years ago) that Ubuntu usually failed the test and not its "spins" as LUbuntu/XUbuntu - which also revives reminescence of days when i relied on Linuxium where there rest was a dead end just trying to boot... Time after time « Fix once, Break many » has verified and that's why i pay such attention to specifics: YMMV! One day i was happy using MX then its Nth auto-update ruined that same day, but it's FREE and where one single 32 GB partition will host Windows i see space for TWO separate Linux evaluations. Too bad my Dull NoteBook came with a poorly supported WiFi/BT chip (so far) that ruins the rest to some degree, how has yours been performing?

:rolleyes:

Hello,

, how has yours been performing?
Wow, that was quite some story. I haven't installed mine yet. The specifics for my machine are below (I think you noticed them). Tried to copy my existing Win11 via Clonezilla - fail, Rescuezilla - fail, Macrium is free no more, some other software only files backup (Windows can do that too), considering forking out some money for a few licenses to actually clone the disk into an iso file, if things go rogue I can reinstall a ready made stuff I backed up previously. I take my time, there is no rush. Today I had a day off and spent it on encoding music from a few old vinyls into mp3 (with some dancing around, got a new 5 in 1 machine so pure joy), and editing it in Audacity for better bass and trimming, with some garden work in between and some machine sowing, fixing one garment I don't want to throw away just because some stitches gave the way. I call it a productive day. Haven't touched the pc for other than editing the music.

Tried to copy my existing Win11 via Clonezilla - fail, Rescuezilla - fail...

Yes, i did pay attention to the signature tagline and it sounds good, except i hope your WiFi/BT connections have appropriate Linux support (mine is built around Realtek's 8821 chip)... As i recall, playing POLITE with Win11 was necessary during preparations for Linux while i noticed some extra partitions marked 'WINRETOOLS', 'Image' and 'DELLSUPPORT' - all NTFS on a GUiD/GPT system; yet it won't cost much space to backup at least its FAT32 'ESP' (EFi System Partition), don't touch it otherwise! Attempts to bypass this manufacturer's security measures are likely to be detected and i also remember its BitLocking feature was in the way until i disabled it, from the BiOS/uEFi pre-boot utility if i'm not mistaking. Once done i had plenty of storage space made free for Linux, using its own SEPARATE FAT32 ESP partition(s); boot order can be adjusted so you never get Windows started accidentally again (...), as i suspect you already know.

:cool:

Once done i had plenty of storage space made free for Linux, using its own SEPARATE FAT32 ESP partition(s); boot order can be adjusted so you never get Windows started accidentally again (...), as i suspect you already know.

:cool:
The laptop came with Windows11 preinstalled and I made some changes to it (also to UEFI). But the ssd is only 256GB. Quite little when you remember Windows11 was supposed to make you recall everything you have ever done on your machine (with just 25gb dedicated to that by default it was estimated to be just 3 months worth of screenshots). That makes me wonder: when has a definition of 'forever' been redefined to just 3 months? They were lying, they are lying and they will be lying. Of course that laptop was made for most stuff to be stored in a cloud. Also our so called encrypted stuff could eventually be redirected to the cloud and they wouldn't even bother to tell you. Now rumour has it Win10 is going to have the features updates reinstated. What for, when it is to be phased out next year? They see people aren't too keen to go on Win11, so, according to our saying: if the wizard doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain must come to the wizard, they are tweaking their own plans.
Got a brand new, virgin NvME, 1tb in size, minus peanuts. I guess that will be just fine for Linux. I am yet to learn how to make it work LOL.

...the ssd is only 256GB. ... Got a brand new, virgin NvME, 1tb in size...

Oh, so your Latitude 3520 and my Inspiron 3520 both came with a few trade-offs after all. :oops:

Initially it was supposed to be some worry-free configuration which would never cause me to peek inside - and i won't since i've read somewhere one vague mention about non-amovible parts, quite likely soldered i'll bet! In any case this whole deception was described in fair details a couple months ago, right here on Linux.Org (*); IMO this manufacturer's image just self-destroyed by their very own fault when i realized the back marking didn't actually correspond to any model reference that occurred during my on-line purchase, thinking such retro-pedaling down to Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa was merely a trivial detail...

In short i feel i was tricked despite my initial cautionary efforts. Nearly one third of my storage space is still devoted to an OS i previously rejected and yet i can't forget the bill got inflated by similar proportions because of it, while i already have a Win10 Pro license paid for.

No wonder i came to tag it a « Dull »: 'cause it's got no charm, not even a sliding camera shutter to provide any sense of safety when connected...

I guess that will be just fine for Linux.

What Linux comes with that much bloatware as from Microsoft?! At least it appears the Latitude offers relief from being able to eradicate the offending abuse through physical replacement of its storage drive; it's going to be worry-free enough, too bad i didn't have a budget for that, because of the Win11 expense exactly!

...if the wizard doesn't go to the mountain...

Well, i heard « only Nixon could go to China »... But i ain't no politician and i'm now at war with the mountain - or vice-versa!

If it hadn't been for the bill i should have considered a Latitude, or simply test my patience somewhat harder.

Good day, have fun!! ;)

What is "Faye" all about then?
Mint is the distribution maintainer LMDE 6 is the distribution build, [in this case Linux Mint Debian Edition Version 6] Fayer is its given build name [starts with F being the 6th letter of the English alphabet]
Mint LMDE is a single bootable ISO containing both 32 and 64 bit codecs, it will automatically install the best one for your CPU.
All Mint distributions are of a family called Debian LMDE is directly based on it, whilst Mint 21 [and the now due Mint22 ]are based on Ubuntu, which in turn is based on Debian and I think is 64 bit only