What Linux distros load entirely into RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're fine bud, no need to cuss. I might get mad when the 20th person talks about their live USB and has no idea what the thread is about. You're only the 5th or 6th.

Just maybe us 6 people are trying to tell you something...could be you're living in the past.
m1516.gif

Call it quits, guys, just agree to differ.

TIA

Wizard

I'm just going to agree. It is time for me to blast into the future where people respond to the title of a thread without reading any of it or knowing anything about the topic.

I thank you @bob466 for showing me the light!! I will immediately stop reading and trying to learn things. My old-fashioned, antiquated, and deprecated ways are over. The future is not reading, responding without knowing what I'm talking about, saying the same thing that 5 other people said, then getting all emo and further destroying the thread.

Now that I'm in the future with you @bob466 what post should I reply to without reading that I know nothing about? Should I try to make sure I say the same thing that's already been said 5 times? Or is that just a bonus? Teach me Obi-Wan.

3. Re-download latest software - wrong. You can write the changes to disk any time you want, a

But then it's not just RAM anymore. I thought that was the whole point?

But then it's not just RAM anymore. I thought that was the whole point?
Okay, I can see why you'd think that. And there are certain things about something like a liveUSB that loads into RAM and never writes to disk that are handy, like for utility purposes. A gparted.iso (which is a lightweight debian good for little else than running a fully-equipped version of gparted) is an example of something useful like that. The type of OS's I mention that load entirely into RAM and also give you options to write to disk are interesting because most apps don't launch as quickly as they could. Or, one example, is firefox has to read it's config files from disk and people have resorted to complicated solutions to get that into RAM just to make firefox a bit peppier. Since 16G,32G,64G+ ram is common and cheap now, and since many fully-capable modern Linux OS's are small enough to load entirely on boot-up and operate (albeit not with a bunch of VM's, and probably not with loads of heavy apps like A/V production and so forth) I think it's interesting and worth experimenting with. I apologize for not making that more clear in the O.P.

I'm just going to agree. It is time for me to blast into the future where people respond to the title of a thread without reading any of it or knowing anything about the topic.

I thank you @bob466 for showing me the light!! I will immediately stop reading and trying to learn things. My old-fashioned, antiquated, and deprecated ways are over. The future is not reading, responding without knowing what I'm talking about, saying the same thing that 5 other people said, then getting all emo and further destroying the thread.

Now that I'm in the future with you @bob466 what post should I reply to without reading that I know nothing about? Should I try to make sure I say the same thing that's already been said 5 times? Or is that just a bonus? Teach me Obi-Wan.

Maybe I should teach you some Manners...but no I'll let the Mods do that.

In a moment, I will be giving the Member a month's holiday, during which time he can consider whether or not he wishes to be a part of this Community.

Wizard

Done - locking this thread for now, and we'll see if the Member returns in a month.

Thanks, as always to the input from our valued Helpers.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online