Where did Google get the idea of an Index?

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Monks, a polymath and an invention made by two people at the same time. It's all in the history of the index​

Eight centuries ago, the need for a way to collect and organise the contents of a book was so great that two people, in two different cities, came up with a solution – at the same time.

The index, that thing tucked inconspicuously at the end of a book was – and still is – essential, says Dennis Duncan, a writer, translator and English lecturer at University College London.

If you use Google, you're one of many in this "age of search" who have a "reliance on a certain type of index", he tells ABC RN's Late Night Live.

"It is the index that underpins the search engine … we're constantly relying on indexes."

That was an interesting article and i believe most internet users didn't know such things. Although many users that are familiar with desktop search, have heard about index and they probably have some information about it's origin; but it seemed very strange for me that at the end of article it says:
Although it is true, but i can't imagine how would life be without computer index. We probably should have relied on directories like Yahoo directory as 90s ;)
The human-made index has nuance and subtext that the computer version simply can't achieve.

Members online

Latest posts