18.04 on new Acer Aspire A515-43. Internet super-slow.

riverguy

Reaction score
Credits
On my wife's new Acer Aspire A515-43, it came with W10 and an empty drive bay that would take a standard SATA drive. I installed a new ssd and on it, Ubuntu 18.04, dual boot with default boot into Ubuntu. Booted into W10, the download speed is >100 Mbps. In Ubuntu, it's around 30-40 Mbps, and that's on wifi or Ethernet. So this doesn't appear to be an issue with the Qualcomm ATHEROS QCA61x4A Wirelss Network Adapter, since plugging in with Ethernet doesn't speed things up. My other two laptops, both running Ubuntu 18.04, both bring in >100 Mbps with wifi, so it is the Acer only that has the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yep a common fault. that card is not directly supported. one suggested cure is

askubuntu.com/questions/1105048/qualcomm-atheros-qca61x4a-is-not-recognized#1105233

Bwiz

Yeah, but . . . doesn't the fact that the wifi speed is the same even when the laptop is Ethernet connected eliminate the card as being the culprit?

I checked the link you posted and it seems to be about the laptop not recognizing the wifi connection at all. This laptop recognizes and connects to any of the several connections my wife uses, but the speed makes the connection barely usable.

G'day riverguy, Welcome to Linux.org

This may seem a bit weird.....but.....disable IPv6 in Ubuntu.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It will do no harm.

OK, the problem persists. Anybody think this could be solved by upgrading the modem? Since the laptop is as slow with an Ethernet connection as it is on wifi, I feel that should eliminate any incompatibly issues with the Network Adapter.

Shades of Ubuntu 10.04! I have not had this problem with ANY other computers with 18.04. Ever! They just connect and run at whatever speed the modem has to offer. With this laptop, it does in Windoze, but not in Ubuntu. And no, I'll not use Windoze to solve the problem!

The modem in use here is one supplied by Spectrum Internet, and is about one year old. I'ts giving us >100 Mbps on our other computers, but I'd go buy a different one if anyone could verify that it might solve the problem . . .

And no, I'll not use Windoze to solve the problem!

The modem in use here is one supplied by Spectrum Internet, and is about one year old. I'ts giving us >100 Mbps on our other computers
Not Windoze, but I'd sure try another Linux before buying a modem. Full install or just a live USB, test something other than Ubuntu. If you get the proper speed, you can try to figure out why Ubuntu works on other computers, but not this one. You could also test Ubuntu 20.04 instead of 18.04.

WiFi and Ethernet at the same speed seems to me more like a configuration problem somewhere than a hardware issue, especially when you've proven the hardware works fine elsewhere. If a different Linux doesn't help, I'd take a hard look at your router settings too... that you are not connecting to a "guest network" or something else that is different from your other computers on the network.

Last edited:
try a Debian based distribution, I am currently trialing MX linux [64 bit] on one of my machines [with propriety drivers] its different but so far very happy with it

@riverguy

How are you checking your internet speed.

Most internet providers offer a simple internet speed test that will check upload speed and download speed.

If nothing else open the browser and enter fast.com in the url bar at the top of the browser and see what comes back.

I just did mine.

1621814193635.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be talked into 20.04, but this is my wife's laptop and she is resistant to change. She moved from Windoze to Ubuntu under duress, but was quite pleased with the minimal learning curve. But to have everything work differently, again, might make her unhappy, and it is my best interest to not do that!
@riverguy

How are you checking your internet speed.

Most internet providers offer a simple internet speed test that will check upload speed and download speed.

If nothing else open the browser and enter fast.com in the url bar at the top of the browser and see what comes back.

I just did mine.

View attachment 9385
I use OOKLA Speedtest. I just ran a test with Fast and with OOKLA and they're nearly identical. I ran this on my laptop since I can't get to my wife's right now, but just to show the actual speeds shown on our Internet connection. It's about the same as at our little cabin nearby. Same provider, but the modem at the cabin is 3 years old and we were just advised it needs replacement.
ookla-fast.jpg
ookla-fast.jpg

I could be talked into 20.04, but this is my wife's laptop and she is resistant to change.

But to have everything work differently, again, might make her unhappy, and it is my best interest to not do that!
I totally understand and agree it's best to keep the wife happy. ;)

Load a usb stick with 20.04 and give it a run, LIVE (dont install it)

See if the problem still persists

OK, Condobloke, I did what you suggested and played with 20.04 on the laptop. No difference in wifi speed, and the wifi speed was still <50 Mbps with wifi OR a direct Ethernet connection. I also read a LOT of reviews from folks who were not thrilled with 20.04. For me, 18.04 is what I've been waiting for since 10.04: stable, connected to everything in my office with no input from me, and has been serving flawlessly on three computers for several years now. I see not enough forward movement in 20.04 to open myself up to all the issues folks are having. Maybe they'll get it sorted in a few years! :)

So here's the fun part. After I spent HOURS uninstalling and re-installing printers, rebooting the printers and the laptop, I'm still not able to connect successfully to either printer. But now the wifi download speed is at >100 Mbps! I must have done something to fix it whilst trying to get the printers to connect. Anyway, it is now seriously time for a few medicinal beers.

Your thoughts on this nonsense would be welcome!

By contrast, I purchased a Printer recently.

Within 15 minutes of extricating it from its box, it was working. Wirelessly connected.
I click print...it prints.

This PC runs like an absolute dream.....every time, all the time.

I wonder if there was a printer driver holding up the works?....does that make any sense?

btw I am talking about Linux Mint 20.1 here..... ...not Ubuntu

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts