A pretty good read about the burdens of being an open source maintainer.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I think many users don't know how much work really goes into this. I see it at a different level, as I'm literally on the Lubuntu team. Even then, I tend to not truly appreciate how much work goes into all this. It's an insane amount of paid and unpaid work that brings our operating system to us.

Over the years, I've thought about making my own distro. It's not the complexity that scares me, it's the obligations to keep it maintained that scare me. There's also that whole 'impostor syndrome' where one is never quite sure how much you know and you're worried that you don't know enough. But, yeah, it's mostly the obligation to maintain the distro that scares me off.

Anyhow, I stumbled across this article and figured I'd share:

I think many users don't know how much work really goes into this. I see it at a different level, as I'm literally on the Lubuntu team. Even then, I tend to not truly appreciate how much work goes into all this. It's an insane amount of paid and unpaid work that brings our operating system to us.

Over the years, I've thought about making my own distro. It's not the complexity that scares me, it's the obligations to keep it maintained that scare me. There's also that whole 'impostor syndrome' where one is never quite sure how much you know and you're worried that you don't know enough. But, yeah, it's mostly the obligation to maintain the distro that scares me off.

Anyhow, I stumbled across this article and figured I'd share:

Makes me really apprechiate the open source community of developers who put their time energy passion and effort into maintaining software and distros.

It does boggle the mind just how much goes into it all

It does boggle the mind just how much goes into it all

Quite a lot.

Every day, bare minimum usually, I download two copies of the daily .iso - it changes every day when the developers change it. (I'm an official Lubuntu member, but don't really do much in the dev section, I mostly test.)

I then test those two. I open every single application from the menu, change settings, browse, download, look for bugs, confirm bugs, etc... I then file reports. This can take a couple of hours - every day. Fortunately, I can do stuff at the same time and between tests.

That's just me - one person. That's just my obligation to Lubuntu. I do quite a bit more than that.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts