Address book recovery

joe1947

Reaction score
Credits
I have a SSD on which I had my OS, Linux Mint 20.
Also had Thunderbird.
The operative word here is had.
The SSD crashed and obviously could not be accessed by the OS.
I am able to access files using a live CD or another installation.
I had a backup of the disk through the Linux backup tool, but apparently the Thunderbird installation is not backed up.
I found the hidden Thunderbird directory, but keep getting 'don't have permissions' to access or copy files to get to the .mab address book file.
My goal is to copy this and install it into a new installation (21.3) of Linux Mint.

If you can access the /home/usr name/.thunderbird file can you copy the whole thing to a usb stick or other off computer storage. If so you can just copy if back to the same place in the new install and it will show up in the new install of Thunderbird with all your address book and emails that were there when the system crashed. If it says you need root privileges got to a terminal and type this command.
Code:
pkexec nemo

Good luck.

If you can access the /home/usr name/.thunderbird file can you copy the whole thing to a usb stick or other off computer storage. If so you can just copy if back to the same place in the new install and it will show up in the new install of Thunderbird with all your address book and emails that were there when the system crashed. If it says you need root privileges got to a terminal and type this command.
Code:
pkexec nemo

Good luck.
A good thought if I can get it to work.
I think the sqlitebrowser is beyond me, but I tried the other suggestion.
It came back to me saying the program doesn’t exist. So I figured out that it wanted me to install nemo. Installed that and nautilus for good measure.
So the installations appeared to work (through software mgr) but the programs don't appear in the program list.

A good thought if I can get it to work.
I think the sqlitebrowser is beyond me, but I tried the other suggestion.
It came back to me saying the program doesn’t exist. So I figured out that it wanted me to install nemo. Installed that and nautilus for good measure.
So the installations appeared to work (through software mgr) but the programs don't appear in the program list.
You have to run it from the terminal there will be no GUI - open terminal type in sqlitebrowser and the GUI interface will come up

You did not have to install Nautilus your Thunderbird files will not be there they are in Nemo - in Nemo you have to show Hidden Files and Folders - the navigate to /home/username/.thunderbird/

the folder you want to copy will look something like ivv4myb5.default-default this folder has all your contacts and user info

Thunderbird is pretty forgiving.

I just copy the entire folder. I sync it now and then from whichever computer I've been using most, so I don't have to download new emails.

You can do a fresh install and then copy the entire folder over (assuming you have ownership of it) to a fresh install and have it not only work - but work with all your most recent emails, settings, plugins, accounts, etc...

nemo will appear in the program list as ...FILES (in lower case)

nautilus....maybe the same

--------------------------------------
""I found the hidden Thunderbird directory, but keep getting 'don't have permissions' to access or copy files to get to the .mab address book file.""
Are you able to see the /home folder?

@GatorsFan just replied above ^^^.....that is good advice and similar to what I was about to type in.

"I found the hidden Thunderbird directory"" ....can you see a folder there name something like Gatorsfan's suggestion... ivv4myb5.default-default ...?
If you can, right click and copy it......then paste it inside a thumb drive so it is not lost. It should be around 2 - 4 GB....approx

Pay attention to @KGIII's post as well
You would paste it into ...pics below

2024-02-27_11-33.png

and then click on .thunderbird to get to the pic below...

2024-02-27_11-33_1.png

When you first see the weird 'name '......write it down.....becasue you may end up with two profile folder, ....and it will be helpful if you know which one is which
Let us know how you get on....it is definitely doable, Dont panic

EDIT....have you installed Thunderbird in the new installation yet?....you can go ahead and install LM21.3 and then install Thunderbird in it.....you will need to have that done.

I don't use Thunderbird but if this happened to me...I could have fixed this in 20 minutes because I have an image of my SSD created by either Foxclone or Redorescue.

Both back up everything on the Drive...it's a simple matter of putting the image on a new SSD of the same size...something to think about.
m1213.gif

Folks just a heads up - The OP has not said he was using Cinnamon.

For MATE of Mint the File Manager is Caja, and for Xfce it is Thunar.

@joe1947 welcome to linux.org

Did you have Timeshift operating on your Mint?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

To all, some of the advice I got was spot on.
I've been able to recover my address book, and I learned a lot at the same time.
So, to all, a big thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that worked for you, Joe

Care to share which advice did the job ?....it would be helpful for other people scouring the internet for a solution that works.

@joe1947 , when you install LM 21.3, if you have questions on it, please include the DE (Desktop Environment) in those questions.

If you do not mention it, Helpers will assume you are using Cinnamon, which is the flagship DE for Mint, and was developed by them.

TIA

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Staff online