Advice on new set-up

P

pimpin

Hello. Looking for some advice here. I have been running a cloud server with cloud linux and ISP manager for a few years now and I'm thinking of purchasing a small used server and just running my own dedicated server. I have 4 small VERY simple websites with VERY small requirements as far as e-mail band width usage etc etc goes and I was thinking of acquiring a server, installing Linux, cPanel / WHM and going that route. It would appear you can get an adequate server for these needs on e-bay for a couple of hundred bucks but I'm wondering about the Lic aspect. I pay about $37 per month right now for IP addy and the cloud server with ISP manager. What's the best option as far as set up goes given my modest needs and my experience level is low but I can read! lol. Thank-you for your help.

why not use Ubuntu server..i did and it worked great...just remember it has no GUI but the result of what you are doing can be seen from your other computer...
it is extremely light as a result and I never ran inti any problems

You will still most likely have to pay if you want a dedicated IP address for Internet users to access your sites. You may be able to save money on cloud storage, but there will be increased time needed to configure and secure a server.

I'd do some research and try out Linux for personal use if you have a spare PC or space for a VM and how much you could save. If you like the challenge go for it, but make sure you're prepared as it can be a lot of work.

Here is a good web server guide from Ars Technica (actually using Ubuntu server):
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/how-to-set-up-a-safe-and-secure-web-server/

(Although I still prefer Apache over Nginex)

Members online

Latest posts