All Linux at last

lesdelc

Reaction score
Credits
I have been using Linux (Arch Linux and LinuxMint) part-time since the late 1990s. I finally make a total switch to Linux two days ago. Win11 and OneDrive has been a big headache for me. I could not take it any more and finally made the switch to ALL Linux, which includes one desktop and laptop. I now have complete control over my operating system! Those Win Apps I need were installed under a Virtual Box with Win10. Surprising, they function greatly under a Virtual Box. Free at last from Windows.

I have used LinuxMint for years, and it has been stable and functional. It has been an easy transition for me with LibreOffice managing my documents. Enough said. :)

I went all Linux in 2015 and never looked back.
m1211.gif

I ditched Windows back in September 2015 after reading the E.U.L.A. for Windows 10 that described it as Spyware/Malware and have been using Linux ever since.

I have been using Linux (Arch Linux and LinuxMint) part-time since the late 1990s.
Arch Linux began in 2002 and Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so it couldn't have happened before 2004. Impossible. Tell us at least one more operating system you used. Maybe Debian?

But I can't get like you. I'm into music production as hobby. Because I am demanding, I cannot give up software only for Windows at that end, and sometimes Wine isn't good enough (cough cough VST3 64-bit trash, cough cough whatever requires M$ Foundation Classes). I'm beginning to think I could get by only using Linux software but it could take longer and it's not to my taste. Ardour v8.1 is buggy, for example, doesn't make nice with QJackCtl on Manjaro MATE. But this is just a bit of my world and off-topic.

@lesdelc :-

Welcome to Linux.org.

I WOULD say "Welcome to the ranks of the enlightened", but.....it sounds as though you've been heading in this direction for a long while. So instead, I will just say "Congrats"!

Me, I stayed with XP for its entire lifespan. At EOL, that was enough; I'd had almost 13 years of M$'s shenanigans; they weren't getting any more of my hard-earnt cash. I Googled "Free operating systems", and was blown away by what came up.....

Literally overnight, I wiped Windows out of my life and installed Ubuntu in its place. The usual "learning-curve" then ensued, along with a fair bit of distro-hopping (as expected). Six months down the line, Canonical decided - in their wisdom! - to drop support for the elderly ATI graphics chip I had at that time. And of course, their customised kernels behaved the same in ALL the 'flavours' and associated spins...

I looked around, further afield. I found 'Puppy' Linux, and. almost straight-away fell in love with its quirky philosophy & way of doing things. The desktop rig and lappie I had at the time were both ancient, and Puppy's mission has always been to keep ancient hardware still alive, and viable. Puppy always uses bog-standard kernels, as they come from kernel.org, so.....everything functioned as it should. Sweet!

(On top of all that, Puppy was the first distro to work OOTB with the weird graphics chip in the P4-powered Dell lappie. No messing around with arcane kernel-line parameters any more to get the display behaving itself!)

It worked for me. Nearly 10 years down the line, I'm still resident in the 'kennels'!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I moderate on a couple of other forums. I only found this one last year, but liked it immediately. In addition to which, I recognised several names I knew from other fora, so it's like a "home from home" as far as I'm concerned.

They're a great bunch.....and will often bend over backwards to help folks out. So; once again....."Welcome!"

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Arch Linux began in 2002 and Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so it couldn't have happened before 2004. Impossible. Tell us at least one more operating system you used. Maybe Debian?

But I can't get like you. I'm into music production as hobby. Because I am demanding, I cannot give up software only for Windows at that end, and sometimes Wine isn't good enough (cough cough VST3 64-bit trash, cough cough whatever requires M$ Foundation Classes). I'm beginning to think I could get by only using Linux software but it could take longer and it's not to my taste. Ardour v8.1 is buggy, for example, doesn't make nice with QJackCtl on Manjaro MATE. But this is just a bit of my world and off-topic.
Wendy-Lebanon, you are correct. Judd Vinet started the Arch Linux project in March 2002. Time has passed by so quickly. Digging back into time, I went through some of my books. How can I forget Slackware. I have tried out Debian but did settle for Arch and then progressed to LinuxMint.

After many years of Windows, It was difficult for me to make the transition to Linux. My hobby is genealogy. I have over 20 years of research work in Windows genealogy software. Thank goodness for Virtual Box. I am running Windows 10 with my genealogy software. This allows me to continue my research work and the writing of my book.

I was just like you circa 2006. I discovered Linux on a DVD of Computer Music Magazine, music technology magazine published in the U.K. It had an ISO of an early copy of Ubuntu, "Warty Warthog" or a later release. This was before the Studio flavor was created. The first Linux I was able to download by myself, some years later was Debian v7 "Wheezy". The beginnings of the GNOME we know about now. :)

I was too comfortable with WindowsXP also. Considered Linux pretty good for word processing, doing stuff with spreadsheets and drawing pictures. Maybe for web browsing but I wasn't always lucky to have Internet. I have gotten much farther into it since last year but I'm not going to be able to give up all of Windows easily.

Members online

Latest posts