Always have to switch audio outputs on boot

derock

Reaction score
Credits
I have my speakers plugged into one of my monitors and have three monitors. The audio outputs for each monitor are labeled in the form "TU104 HD Audio Controller Pro {number}". From what I've observed, the number is non-deterministically generated, which means every boot I have to test each output and figure out the one that goes to my main monitor:
1711717947620.png

Is there a way to either disable audio via HDMI/DP for all monitors except a certain one (DP-2) or make the numbers deterministic so on boot they don't change?

System: (tldr: wayland + nvidia + pipewire)
Code:
          ::::.    ':::::     ::::'           derock@derock-desktop
          ':::::    ':::::.  ::::'            OS: NixOS 24.05.20240327.2726f12 (Uakari)
            :::::     '::::.:::::             Kernel: x86_64 Linux 6.6.22
      .......:::::..... ::::::::              Uptime: 10m
     ::::::::::::::::::. ::::::    ::::.      Packages: 7360
    ::::::::::::::::::::: :::::.  .::::'      Shell: bash 5.2.26
           .....           ::::' :::::'       Resolution: 9200x2160
          :::::            '::' :::::'        WM: Hyprland
 ........:::::               ' :::::::::::.   Disk: 3.6T / 5.5T (66%)
:::::::::::::                 :::::::::::::   CPU: 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700KF @ 20x 4.9GHz [27.0°C]
 ::::::::::: ..              :::::            GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
     .::::: .:::            :::::             RAM: 4325MiB / 64149MiB
    .:::::  :::::          '''''    .....    
    :::::   ':::::.  ......:::::::::::::'    
     :::     ::::::. ':::::::::::::::::'     
            .:::::::: '::::::::::            
           .::::''::::.     '::::.           
          .::::'   ::::.     '::::.          
         .::::      ::::      '::::.

Unless anybody else here might know, I don't think you'll get a lot of targeted help. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe NixOS is one of those highly-customized, "build-it-yourself-from-scratch" distros, isn't it.....along the same lines as Gentoo?

As such, it's not exactly going to be directly comparable to any of the standard, mainstream distros, so.....not many - IF any - are going to be able to help from personal experience.

(shrug...)

Apologies if that sounds dismissive, but I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Mike. :(

NixOS is one of those highly-customized, "build-it-yourself-from-scratch" distros, isn't it?
Nearly, it's a package management system and repository, it can be installed to Linux, Windows, Mac & WSL, Never used it myself, so can't help with problem packages

Nearly, it's a package management system and repository,

Not so, I believe. It is a distro in its own right, according to DistroWatch, I know of it but have not used it.

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=12007

That being said, the latest shown at DistroWatch is v 23.11, and the OP is referencing 24.05 'Ukari' which I am guessing he has got from their "small channel"?

Is that so, @derock ? ...and welcome to linux.org

It still comes down to what Mike said

As such, it's not exactly going to be directly comparable to any of the standard, mainstream distros, so.....not many - IF any - are going to be able to help from personal experience.

@derock you might be best served by checking with NixOS's forum or support team.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I think I've mentioned it before on this forum: if you want your audio profile to be remembered after reboot, click on the padlock icon next to the profile you want remembered. That icon locks channels together. The tickbox in the second screenshot actually makes the system remember your setting.

PAVU Control:

1.png

2.png

3.png

Members online