Anyone go for CCNA Cert?

V

Videodrome

I've decided the next career move that makes sense for me is to pursue Networking. So far, I do have an Associates in Cyber Security which is cool, but it's just way to specialized. I need something more general and practical. From talking to some local businesses and a local college, it seems that Networking is what's in demand.

So I just wondered if anyone here has Networking experience or any Cisco Cert and if you'd recommend any study plan or books/CDs. I do have a spare LinkSys router so maybe that would help me apply hands-on study.

I do not have that cert, but all certs can help you gain a better job or get promoted. In my opinion, all certs are great.

Hello Videodrome. I've recently obtained my CCNA, and the two exam specific books I found to be the best to prepare with were the CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide Library by Wendell Odom. I also paired this with the CBT Nuggets video series for each exam. Finally, practice is very important to ingraining the concepts in your head, getting comfortable with Cisco equipment, and being able to tackle the task at hand (configuring routing protocols, security, troubleshooting, etc). Although not a complete necessity I'd recommend purchasing some Cisco gear and setting up a small lab at home. If your budget is tight, GNS3 is a great piece of free emulation software that I also used for labs. In terms of actual labs I found the 101 Labs for the CCNA Exam to be a great book, but there are also great sites that offer labs for free such as gns3vault and freeccnaworkbook. I hope this has been helpful! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out that book.

I've also heard about GNS3 and may install that next.

About 15 years ago I used Sybex CCNA Study Guide 2nd Edition for Exam 640-507, by Todd Lammie. It came with a CD that had great study tools and practice tests. Although that book is dated now you can search for new editions. The test is split up now so you will probably need 2 books.

If you track down any IOS's for Gns3 let me know please.

About 15 years ago I used Sybex CCNA Study Guide 2nd Edition for Exam 640-507, by Todd Lammie. It came with a CD that had great study tools and practice tests. Although that book is dated now you can search for new editions. The test is split up now so you will probably need 2 books.

If you track down any IOS's for Gns3 let me know please.

I've read good reviews for Todd Lammie CCNA book which has a current edition. I've already considered getting it so I'm glad to hear another positive comment for it here. The bonus material sounds very helpful to.

I've decided to get Todd Lammle's book. It comes with a Network Simulator software, so maybe I don't even need IOS files.

I've also heard some 1700 series routers might be cheaper yet still useful for practicing commands.

I took the CCNA about 20 years ago. It was simple. I used the Sybex books and even read the Exam Cram books (Exam Cram no longer in business though).

I haven't heard how difficult it is now. shouldn't be too bad as long as you get some hands on with a router or a simulator. The Sybex sim was good before and should be much better now.

Members online