Anyone here play endless-sky?

Trenix25

Reaction score
Credits
I did see the screenshot from another user here so at least one other person is playing it. I recently downloaded the app image file from their GitHub page and my was it different. They added mining asteroids as a means of making some money so it is actually possible to play the game when starting with something other than the star barge. Those little ships that a new player can start with are so small and helpless. It's a wonder I make it to my destination in one piece. I have been playing an older version on Debian for a while and now I have a really nice heavy warship and four huge freighters. I needed the warship because the priates became so problematic. I typically make about 500k per run on average, each way. I run between Gemstone in Turais to Geyser in Denebola with food and then bring back medical supplies to Turais. This screenshot is from the older version that I'm still playing.

That falcon is mine, along with the four behemoths. I'm trying to save up enough to buy another behemoth and four more falcons and then fix them up. I'll need to save enough to be able to keep playing the game without going broke afterwards. It will cost a lot to pay the crew, which will be considerable after I buy those four falcons. I'm only paying less than 12k a day right now though. I have no outstanding bank loan. That was paid off long ago. It's certainly worth it to add a fuel pod so I can make it five jumps without having to refuel. I hear the newest version has a ram scoop to allow ships to gather fuel as they fly around. That would certainly be handy when exploring unknown space so I don't get stuck somewhere where I can't land or get fuel.

How much do the rest of you normally make per run? Has anyone tried to solve the quests in the game?

Screenshot_20240614_170412.png

I took a look at this some 3 or 4 years ago (I understand the game was far less developed then). Wasn't really my "bag".....and I'm not really a 'gamer' anyway. If I do, it tends to be the odd half-hour with a shoot'em-up type of game.

A friend was really into the PS1 in the late 90s/early 00s, and spent all his time with Doom. He also played a lot of the early "driver type" games; that was more my cup of tea!

Usually, I mess around with stuff like AssaultCube, UrbanTerror, RedEclipse, Xonotic.......that kinda thing. My guess is that EndlessSky is more a kind of 'space' version of Dungeons & Dragons.....with a lot of haggling & purchasing going on. Like I said, not my "bag"......but "different strokes for different folks", an' all that.

Which is why there's such a variety of stuff available.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I took a look at this some 3 or 4 years ago (I understand the game was far less developed then). Wasn't really my "bag".....and I'm not really a 'gamer' anyway. If I do, it tends to be the odd half-hour with a shoot'em-up type of game.

A friend was really into the PS1 in the late 90s/early 00s, and spent all his time with Doom. He also played a lot of the early "driver type" games; that was more my cup of tea!

Usually, I mess around with stuff like AssaultCube, UrbanTerror, RedEclipse, Xonotic.......that kinda thing. My guess is that EndlessSky is more a kind of 'space' version of Dungeons & Dragons.....with a lot of haggling & purchasing going on. Like I said, not my "bag"......but "different strokes for different folks", an' all that.

Which is why there's such a variety of stuff available.

Mike. ;)
It's really a lot of flying back and forth trading commodities. I suppose I could hunt down pirates and destroy them, now that I'm powerful, but it wouldn't be fun. Linux has doom, but it has really bad graphical quality, like 240 or so. It does have a driving game or two, but I haven't tried. I doubt it would compare to anything expensive. Linux does have a better FPS game, but it uses so many different keys on the keyboard. I couldn't learn them while stuff was shooting at me.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

Members online

Latest posts