Host: Dell Vostro 3520
Kernel: 6.6.10-76060610-generic
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 42.5
WM: Mutter
CPU: 12th Gen Intel i5-1235U (12) @ 4
GPU: Intel Device 4628
Memory: 7628MiB

Yesterday morning while I was writing a very normal document the letter "e" was typed about ten times without my touching it... in several years of using GNU/Linux and having tried many distros such a thing had never happened to me. I can say that after autotyping appeared for the rest of the morning I had no more problems, I also obviusly updated the system packages. Could this be an isolated case or a serious problem? Could you tell me more?

Hello @Master_of_the_ice24,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.
We can only hope it is a random event. My first suspicion would be a bit of dirt or something causing the e key to stick on the key board. I would first make sure the keyboard is cleaned. Canned air can work for that. But unless it happens again it would be hard to diagnose the problem.

Hello @kc1di,
well...the laptop is kinda new is just 2 months, it'd be tough it wasn't cleaned. I'll update the post in case it happens again : )

Hello @kc1di,
well...the laptop is kinda new is just 2 months, it'd be tough it wasn't cleaned. I'll update the post in case it happens again : )
Than being said I have seen brand new keyboards right out of the box have a sticky key. But Let us know if it continues to happen in the mean time enjoy the journey!

I am not sure if this is applicable, but I have a Dell Inspiron 5510 and it exhibits this behavior on occasion. It has done this very infrequently since I purchased it a couple of years ago. The version of Linux does not seem to matter, I have seen it with both Pop and with Mint. I tend to stay with distributions that use the APT package manager.

Bob

Hi @bwingbob, what distro are you using right now? And if you are using another one, does It happen less frequently or not at all anymore?
I am using pop on the laptop. The auto typing is very infrequent, hard to say if the problem has been corrected but it has been a while since I last saw it.

Bob

Latest posts