Best Version of Linux to use for scripting?

raytreid

Reaction score
Credits
I'm looking to install Linux as the primary/only OS on a pc or laptop. Its primary use is going to be shell and perl scripting to parse data. I also need internet access preferably Wi-Fi. What is the best version of Linux to download to be able to do this?

Welcome to the forums, the applications to run scripting should run on any distribution, for ease of installation any distribution with a graphical installer and non-free/propriotry drivers will be the simplest to install,
How much experience of Linux do you have?

Bwiz

I'm looking to install Linux as the primary/only OS on a pc or laptop. Its primary use is going to be shell and perl scripting to parse data. I also need internet access preferably Wi-Fi. What is the best version of Linux to download to be able to do this?

Like the brick said, any distro will do this. I don't know of a single distro without bash or perl.
The harder part may be a distro that uses your wifi card.

MInt, Ubuntu and Fedora are all known for their dev tools, sometimes IDE's make it easier for some people.

For any kind of scripting/programming - it really doesn't matter which Linux distro you use. They all support programming in pretty much any programming language you can think of!

I'd recommend downloading some liveCD's of a few different distros and see what runs well on your hardware and looks and feels the way you want it to.

Generally speaking, all of the major distro's should have good support for most wifi chipsets. If your hardware is very new - you might want to run with a bleeding edge distro like Arch or Fedora, to get the newest, bleeding-edge versions of everything.
But if your hardware is at least two or three years old - you should be good with pretty much any distro.

There are still a handful of hardware manufacturers who don't release drivers for their hardware. But they are in the minority.
Driver support for most things is really good on Linux.

Again, best bet is to try a few distros and see which work wtih your wifi chipset. You may find it works flawlessly with any distro!

Welcome to the forums, the applications to run scripting should run on any distribution, for ease of installation any distribution with a graphical installer and non-free/propriotry drivers will be the simplest to install,
How much experience of Linux do you have?

Bwiz
Thanks for getting back, moderate amount of experience on Unix/Linux, mostly scripting command line stuff.

mostly scripting command line stuff.
you're well on your way then, let us know what the make/model of your proposed kit is, and we can see if there might be problems

@raytreid,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forums. As has already been said almost any distro will work for scripting. as Brickwizard has said let us know what equipment your using. Some Wifi card are difficult to get going but most can be made to work today. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Last edited:
Nice to see your keeping regular :p

LOL I agree. I still take a drug in the opiate family and it's awesome when those sorts of things are regular!

It's prescribed, of course.