Better late than never!

Egzoset

Reaction score
Credits
Salutations,

It's kind of late but i just found out i forgot this most basic step in forum activity, so i'll try to amend myself.

Once upon a time there was a computer enthousiast who received his 1st 300 bps modem as gift, which started an evolutive spiral until the maximum 57600/115200 limit was reached. As an operating system i eventually selected IBM PC-DOS v3.3 complemented with all sorts of 3rd-party stuff like from Novell NetWare, Caldera's DR_Web-Spyder, euh... Whatever i could fit on a duo of 720 KB floppy disquettes meant to run on a 4.77 MHz 8088/8086 clone; a single 1M44 diskette later proving more convenient when Sympatico decided to offer roaming dial-up access. This must have been around 2002, coïnciding with the period when bulletin board system SysOp Michel Boulanger unplugged his PCBoard 'Universel SBE' Canada-Media hub in Grand-Mère/Qc, as i recall. TelNet was gaining popularity so dialup services were phasing out. By chance i was well acquainted with Fred P. Brucker's excellent ANSI terminal emulator 'Commo' (v7.7 the final version had been release on December 25, 1998 exactly)... Among other favourite software i found 'MS-Kermit v3.16' most appropriate when combined to SynchroNet BBSes and 'MultiMail/XT' for MS-DOS, euh... Actually, looking back at my vintage archives i can hardly believe the level of agravating involvement! But it worked and this was satisfying enough at the time.

If i ain't mistaking Columbia's 'C-Kermit' was the trigger that made me Linux curious, though not finding it really useful at first. Yet their protocol proved efficient where XModem/ZModem would fail, so it always remained a fetish item for me to this day. Then other commercial alternatives as `Anzio' and `IVT v11.3e' appeared as i was progressively leaving the DOS realm to adopt W98 instead. So many contributors to my world when i revisit those reminescences! Plenty of savvy persons who paved the way, kind of early, who i regretfully failed to acknowledge proportionately - including for a novel opportunity to bridge the gap between French and English in the process...
fraeng_a.gif

Recognize the Windows 9x button look? Or was it XP?? ... ;)

Some years later Linux finally picked up on features and even became a real viable alternative to Microsoft, namely Slax, PureOS, porteus, etc. Puppy variants also gave me hope that i'd be able to valorize my former Atom CherryTrail 32/64 hybrid tablet more recently - which i finally happened to brick a couple months ago after insisting too much over optimization it seems. M'well, yano, sometimes it's just better sleep on it and wait to clear the mind after gaining more perspective! No problem, now i have another tablet and this one feels significantly less demanding when choosing my next preferred Linux "spin". N.B.: that story can be found right here on linux.Org (*), by the way.

The irony is that i no longer maintain correspondance using TelNet/.QWK msg packets despite having excellent resource available for FREE! Life goes on i guess and nostalgia long passed, for the most part...

Good day, have fun!! :cool:

Last edited:

It may be late but Welcome to the forum ;)

Members online

Latest posts