Bluetooth Problem with LM 21.2

lesdelc

Reaction score
Credits
Bluetooth icon disappeared off the task bar and the Bluetooth Manager does not function at all. I have been working on this problem for a couple of days by searching the LinuxMint and Ubuntu forums. Tried various solutions that were offered from these forums but to no avail. I tried the following:
  • sudo systemctl status bluetooth.service
    bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor pre>
    Active: inactive (dead)
    Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
    Dec 10 10:37:46 Lenovo systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service
    Dec 10 11:11:19 Lenovo systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service

• Upgraded the kernel
  • Removed Bluetooth, Blueman, Bluez & Tools. Re-installed these apps.
  • sudo systemctl enabled bluetooth and sudo systemctl start bluetooth
  • See two attached files for specific problem.
Has anyone encountered this problem and successfully resolved it.

-lesdelc-

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-12-10 11-18-26.png
    Screenshot from 2023-12-10 11-18-26.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot from 2023-12-10 11-21-14.png
    Screenshot from 2023-12-10 11-21-14.png
    12 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

There was a bluetooth update delivered on the 6th or 7th of December....has it been installed ?

Upgraded the kernel?....to what from what ?

All my updates have been done. I don't remember seeing a Bluetooth update.

One of the Bluetooth solutions that helped one individual was a kernel update. The update was to 6.2.0-34 from the current kernel version.

check in update Manager/view/history of updates....

1702256432453.png

check in update Manager/view/history of updates....

View attachment 17475
Thanks for helping locate these files. I compared these files to the files listed in the Update Manager. It appears these files have been updated. Oh well, back to the drawing board. If I cannot find the solution, then I will not use Bluetooth for any of my devices. Perhaps in future releases, this problem with Bluetooth will be corrected. I have not updated my laptop and Bluetooth functions the way in should. Thanks for the help.

What device/s are you attempting to connect via bluetooth?

Have you connected them via bluetooth before?

Do you run timeshift?....if so, do you have a snapshot prior to the bluetooth icon gong missing ? Restoring the system to that time may help, because it is possible that an update of some sort has interfered with bluetooth

Does your pc have a card/motherboard that recognises bluetooth or do you have an adopter plugged into a usb port?...if in a usb port, unplug it and plug it back in.

Click on menu...type in bluetooth manager or blueman (either one will return Blueman)

Is it in the menu?

Open software manager, and type in Blueman....it should show there as being installed. If not...install it

1702264771395.png

Also, in Software Manager, look for Bluez....install both of them if not installed already....there is a smallish green tick on both of them in my screenshot

1702264985645.png

Last edited:
Take what I say with a grain of salt as I'm new to all this. However, I had an issue with my monitor that was solved by updating the kernel. I know they just did a kernel update in the last week or so. Any chance the new one is the problem? If it's even possible, maybe try reverting back one???

EDIT: Just looked back at your OP. I guess you had the issue BEFORE updating the kernel. So, disregard.

EDIT 2: You are not alone. This member mentions the same issue (not on mint) with bluetooth https://www.linux.org/threads/linux-black-screen-before-login.47874/

Last edited:
If all of the above fails.....follow the steps in the link below to run a fsck (File System Check)

Be Aware: To perform these tests, the disk must not be mounted!....so run it from a 'live' usb
the important section starts with :
Finally, let’s check for file-system consistency. This is typically done with the ‘fsck’ command, a command you should have some understanding of. There are many ways to run the command, but you can just use the following command to see what’s going on:
BUT....read the whole thing.

It is accurate, and does not take a whole lot of time

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I'm new to all this. However, I had an issue with my monitor that was solved by updating the kernel. I know they just did a kernel update in the last week or so. Any chance the new one is the problem? If it's even possible, maybe try reverting back one???

EDIT: Just looked back at your OP. I guess you had the issue BEFORE updating the kernel. So, disregard.

EDIT 2: You are not alone. This member mentions the same issue (not on mint) with bluetooth https://www.linux.org/threads/linux-black-screen-before-login.47874/
I dropped back to the initial kernel 5.15.0-91 when I first installed LinuxMint. It appears when I upgraded the kernel it did not change Bluetooth.

What device/s are you attempting to connect via bluetooth?

Have you connected them via bluetooth before?

Do you run timeshift?....if so, do you have a snapshot prior to the bluetooth icon gong missing ? Restoring the system to that time may help, because it is possible that an update of some sort has interfered with bluetooth

Does your pc have a card/motherboard that recognises bluetooth or do you have an adopter plugged into a usb port?...if in a usb port, unplug it and plug it back in.

Click on menu...type in bluetooth manager or blueman (either one will return Blueman)

Is it in the menu?

Open software manager, and type in Blueman....it should show there as being installed. If not...install it

View attachment 17476

Also, in Software Manager, look for Bluez....install both of them if not installed already....there is a smallish green tick on both of them in my screenshot

View attachment 17477
What device/s are you attempting to connect via bluetooth? Bose QuietComfort 45 wireless headphones. 1st attempt to connect but unsuccessful.. However, on my laptop is running LinuxMint 21.2 I did connect my headphones wtihout any problems. Bluetooth on my laptop is running great. Regarding Timeshift I wanted to setup Win10 under a VirtualBox to accomadate Windows apps that will not run under Linux. Affer I this was done I was going to use Timeshift but never got to it. On my desktop LM 21.2 does recognize Bluetooth. For some reason the Bluetooth icon on the Taskbar disappeared and the Bluetooth Manager does display but is inoperable. Yes, Blueman is installed. I tried everyting but cannot get Bluetooth to wakeup. What I may do is to remove Bluetooth devices from LM 21.2. Hopefully in the next coming releases this problem may be fixed so I can use my Bluetooth devices.

The problem is more likely to be something local, rather than a release problem. Bluetooth works like a charm on LM21.2 here, and there appears to be little complaint about it overall.

The problem is more likely to be something local, rather than a release problem. Bluetooth works like a charm on LM21.2 here, and there appears to be little complaint about it overall.
I agree with what you have stated. I have a lot of time I put into LinuxMint with Virtual Machine Manager, which includes Win10 and a few Windows apps. The Window apps include over 20 years of research, which I am using to write a book. Furthermore, I will stay with LinuxMint even though Bluetooth does not work with it. Hopefully I day I can get Bluetooth to work with it. Thanks for your comments and help.

Staff online

Members online